CHILDREN OF STEEL [Reboot]

Children of Steel is an Online Realtime Space Sim set in a post apocaliptic era in space.
This project was born 7 years ago. It’s been almost my sole project since I started using the BGE.
You can check out the previous work here : COS

Yeah I’m not ready to give up, but had too many obstacles to work on it for a few years (babies, work, and lots of life related problems). As my vacations approach, I’m preparing to reboot my project and this time time to attack the core elements, instead of getting side tracked by visuals…

The work I’ll do will be split in the following sectors:
Server : Simple python server. This program will manage colonies, and consolidate what players are in the same zone.
Colonies will manage their citizen’s positioning and assets.

Client :
The client will have the same structure it had before:
-World class: It will generate all visible objects in the scenes group
-Client class: It will manage all AI (basically player party NPC, up to 3), player actions and Machinery.
-Network will feed World and client objects with server data, and the server with client data

• Display user interface (UI) management. I’m thinking of some dynamic and customizable display.
  • Sound : I want to add TTS to the game, besides the expected sound FX and music.

I’ve officially restarted today(1st August 2015). My first update will be due on Monday.

I’ll reserve places for Alpha, Demo and Beta.

PRE ALPHA updates

______________________________ TEST BED _______________________________

Initial Terrain tests
LOD type + physics

ALPHA Updates

DEMO (if ever)

BETA (…dreaming now)

Interesting on the terrain lod… Is your terrain infinite or is it hand placed?

Keep at it. :slight_smile: I’ve got a project that I keep returning to again and again too, it’ll be finished one day.^^

Sorry for the delayed reply.
@quickmind: The terrain can be as large as the BGE allows. Each terrain patch is 32X32 BU large, the terrain in the vid is 320X320 BU.

@ Smoking_mirror: Thank you my friend, you’ve always been a source of inspiration. This time I’m really taking my time in making things running well on a global scale. Next week I’ll be working on the first level, and will apply a few tricks I learned from you!

Glad to see you’re still working on this project. I’ve been working on my own game that requires a lot of networking code (e.g. multiple servers that fill different roles, encrypted TCP communication with the server, peer-to-peer communication, UDP hole-punching, reliable UDP, etc.). So if you want to discuss networking stuff, have questions, or would like to see some code I’d be happy to help out.