Misdirection (THU Golden Ticket Challenge 2015 Entry)

Hello everyone. I’d like to share with you this piece I did for this year’s THU Golden Ticket Challenge.

This is the first piece that I’ve used Blender as the main program, though I have used it in the past as a secondary program for things like sculpting, texturing and retopology for my other pieces. It is also my first use of Cycles for rendering. I hope you like it.

Here are the challenge pages where you can see the WIPs and the other entries and winners as well:
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/thu2015/entry/julSan
https://trojan-unicorn.com/thu/golden-ticket-challenge

I love it. Your artwork is wonderful, congrats by the 3rd place (I think you should have won).

Wow! looks like a scene out of an awesome movie. Congratulations!

The image is really, really great. Her hair somehow reminds me of “How to train your dragon”. Congratulations.

Really nice piece. Congratulations.

Beautiful work man.

Amazing work! I really love the lighting… I got a question, for the texturing did you use Blender?

Love the wild hair and expression on the face of the kid(?) in the bottom-left. Pure feral glee!

Great stuff mate :slight_smile:

Beautiful work!!!
From the story > concept design > sculpting/modeling > posing > final render … All on a super high level. Congrats.

I would have said this was a shot out of a pixar movie if I hadn’t known better :wink:

Love the expressions on everyone’s faces… the character in the foreground has a mischievious look, and the 3 in the background, the guy on the bottom seems to be thinking “This is never going to work,” the kid in the middle is like “Fear me, for I am mighty!” and the littlest one at the top is just having fun “look at the horsey!” Great job!

this is beautiful!! Congratulations for the result in the competition!

Wow, I’m blown away. I think most of what I had to say has already been covered by all above me.

Awesome¡ five characters in one only scene, that means a lot of work

Really cool piece, it is perfect, a very good work in composition, lighting, shaders, etc. Congratulations.

Awesome!:slight_smile:

Thanks, everyone!

@Keen
I used Photoshop for most of the textures. Because of the time constraints and since this is a still image, I just projected most of the UVs from the render camera. I took an 8k viewport grab using the quick edit button in the texturing workspace and used that as a template to paint on most of the textures. Some elements, such as the capes and the hammer head, needed to be properly unwrapped for the textures to look right, but I mostly used projected textures, blended box mapping and procedurals to texture this piece.

Great art. Love the expression on face

aww dam is it only sculpted? i was hoping that it was posed, would LOVE to see this animated!

great work! im actually impressed, the image looks Great, and it tells a story!

by the way, you used blender as a secondary software for things like sculpting? blender sucks so hard at sculpting :confused: that is the one thing i dont like about blender.
again 5* looks great!

That must’ve take so much time. Great job!