How To Add Gloss

I have added a glossy shader but for some reason in my rendered view,the results are different.

Here is my node setup.

Glossy shader with a flat surface on a flat background won’t show up much. Glossy needs, at the very least, something to reflect.

What do you mean the results are different?
Different from what?

Yes,I put some surfaces for the Glossy Shader to reflect to but it still has a dark opaque color. I think something is wrong with my node setup but I don’t know what it is.

@Martin Norris
I meant the results don’t show any Glossiness.

Few things:

1. You need more “stuff” around your object to reflect.
  2. Your node set-up seems rather complicated for what you are trying to achieve. What are all the RGB curve nodes and multiplication nodes supposed to be doing?
  3. All of the nodes mentioned in point 2 seem to be plugging into the roughness slot of the glossy - it could be that your “glossy” is no longer glossy at all. Any roughness values much above about 0.1 will start to make the material look matte - so if the result of all of your maths and RGB manipulations is high - you’ll never achieve a glossy look.

I’d go back to basics (see image below)

Keep your glossy and diffuse nodes (with the associated image texture nodes) where they are. Delete all the colour ramps and math and layer weight nodes.

Plug the Fresnel node into the fac slot of the mix shader and set it’s IOR to around 1.8. Set the roughness of the glossy shader to zero.

You should now be able to see glossy reflections on your object. If you can’t then your environment is at fault. Fix the environment - then start adding roughness variations back into the material - building it up slowly.

I would invert gloss map by using color ramp and then adjust the colors. Normally white is full glossy(regarding other softwares like maya), but in Blender black is full glossy.
testtt.zip (403 KB)

Thanks moony!
You were right about the node setup,I just deleted the extra things I shouldn’t have plugged in.
To be honest,I don’t even know why I put the multiplication nodes and the color ramps in there.
Just experimenting with nodes…!:rolleyes:

Hi,

I thought it would be interesting to abstract the node tree into something as simple as possible to see what you are trying to achieve
So I came up with this

You are using a fresnel value adjusted to saturate at low and high values as the mix factor between diffuse and glossy.
So the glossy is only strongly applied at very low angle of incidence faces
You can see that the sphere is blue only at the most shallow {wrt the camera} faces, though there is an effect for the glossy highlight which mixes in with the diffuse.

A glossy shader is most noticable at a certain {range of} angles between the camera and bright objects {lights, reflections etc.,.}
With a box shape you might not be hitting a sweet angle that catches the relevant reflections
Test the material on something rounded, {even though it will look weird} so you can adjust the angles

All the points that @moony makes are relevant, and I particularly think that the roughness of the glossy is reducing the effect even further.

Hope this helps

Martin

If you read closely, you’ll see that the input actually reads roughness, not glossiness :slight_smile: Roughness = 1- glossiness and vise versa. Glossiness refers to how polished a surface is, roughness refers to how unpolished (sort of) a surface is. There are things which tends to increase with roughness, which means you don’t have to negate it as much for other uses. Plenty of other software call it roughness too, and Rendermans Disney shader (probably some PBR approaches too) use the same roughness value to control both the diffuse (going from perfect diffuse Lambert cosine shading to an Oren Nayar roughness based shading) and glossy shaders.

You could argument for both ways to have merit.

Is my node setup incorrect? As far as I know gloss map connects to roughness.

remove your color ramp
add an HDRI instead of the emission planes
add objects around to reflect may be

here is quick test
it is very reflective

happy cl