Raptor

A model of a Jurassic Park style Velociraptor I’ve been working on, intending to sell on TurboSquid as I’m off to Uni next year and in dire need of some funds :’)

Cycles render, varying number of samples between 250-1500. Sculpted using the Multires modifier, rendering at 3 or 5 subdivisions (level 4 is corrupted for some reason with a couple of random vertices sticking way out - anyone know a fix for this as 4 is really the optimum resolution for rendering at for the model)

Not 100% finished yet as I have yet to create a specular map or a fine detail map for up-close renders, plus I need to make the rig a lot more user friendly and add some nice subsurface stuff the gums.

Looks real to me! Is there any benefits of using multiresolution modifier over dynamic topology?

dinotopo gives more freedom when sculpting creative characters, however it edits the vertex of the mesh directly, it’s a destructive process. once you’re finish you will need to re-topo the mesh, in order to work with it, like un wrap it, rig it and pose it. for multires, a low level of subdivisions should be good enough for a simplify model, so re-topo is easier. plus, the whole sculpt work will act as a modifier, to prevent it from lagging your 3d viewport, simply disable it.

the raptor is just stunning! and it’s not even finish yet! how much are you planning to sell this beauty?

Cheers!

Multires means you can animate with your low-res mesh and then render the high-res sculpted one, with all the deformations of the low-res one being preserved. Makes it a bit easier to work with IMO, and you can actually render with the sculpt instead of it being in a fixed position. It’s just the way my workflow is really, I’m sure there are advantages to DynTopo too but it just doesn’t fit into the way I’ve learned to do things.

You ninja’d me there haha!

Thanks again! I’m thinking around the hundred to hundred-and-fifty dollars mark, but not sure entirely. Not sure if people will be put off from buying it given that it’s a blender model (I’ll offer .obj & .fbx as well of course) and lots of people still seem to have the ‘Blender is for amateurs’ sort of attitude. Never sold anything before so I’m not entirely sure where I should aim my pricing.

‘Blender is for amateurs’, well i like to see the reaction on those people’s faces when they realized this was made with blender.

150 is still pretty cheap for a model this standard in my opinion, it’s even better than this one and it’s 399.99.

if there’s any critics i could give, i think you went a bit over-board with the wrinkles on the tail, it looks like a spring.

i want to tell you this is real, but the only real dinosaurs that we have today is chickens, so this is unreal work ! good job,

Great model and texturing.

Wow, nice model and shader! I also like the way you present the raptor (pose and camera angle). Great!

Multires means you can animate with your low-res mesh and then render the high-res sculpted one, with all the deformations of the low-res one being preserved. Makes it a bit easier to work with IMO, and you can actually render with the sculpt instead of it being in a fixed position. It’s just the way my workflow is really, I’m sure there are advantages to DynTopo too but it just doesn’t fit into the way I’ve learned to do things.

Impressive work!

You have the right idea about working with the low resolution proxy and only applying highres detail for rendering, however usually the highres sculpt is baked to a diplacement map texture (float or half float), rather than kept as multires data.

This will be extra advantageous in your case since you wish to sell the model. Multires data will be useless to people not using blender, where a displacement map can be applied pretty much in every package. So you’ll have more potential customers.

The shading and pose is good, though the sculpting on the tongue looks pretty rough (it kind of has an unnatural look with the indentations on the sides and the flat spot behind it).

The skin detail looks well done though.

I’ll work on the texturing round the tail a bit more, try to break it up a bit and maybe change the bump map a little. I very much like your feathered rex by the way! Looks great.

Thanks!

Yup, displacement map is already baked! Always looks best rendering at max subdivision though.

Thanks, reworking the sculpt and texture on the tongue now. May give it a bit more gloss and subsurface as well.

Currently rendering out a 360 animation which is going to take a fair while but the changes will be visible on the final product.

This is absolutely stunning! hats off to you.

This is terrific. Nice job.

Steve S

How have you achieved the skin shader? I am creating something in the same realm but have to put it on the back burner until I can learn how to create such beautiful skin textures :slight_smile: cheers, looks awesome!

Very nice model and sculpting. the pose is really great.
You should give it some composition even on a neutral background instead of a pure black background.

Thanks! Skin shader is a mix of diffuse & subsurf then mixed with glossy. The subsurf gives it a bit of a fleshier look.

After some fraught rendering attempts (my old 2007 iMac is showing its age) finally have a turntable/test animation up:

Very nice!!

Very impressive rig Benjee10! Good luck selling your model.

You’re gonna make some $$ with that

it looks beautiful!

amazing job!
all his movements are looking very natural