Rigging Help

Hi! I’m new to blender and I was following a youtube tutorial ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9f-WVs3ghI ) for rigging, and everything was going well up until it came time to parent my mesh to the bones. As soon as I do this (with automatic weights), my mesh gets extremly distorted flattenting out and stretching places. Any idea what could be casuing this? Could it have something to do with weight? I’m an extreme noob, and thank you for any help! Blender file: Rigging.blend (694 KB)

First off, both your model and your armature are scaled, rotated, and moved from origin. That alone could cause problems with rigging. There’s more problems with your mesh, but I’m looking at them now. Will post something when I sort them out.

Rigging.blend (144 KB)

The mesh had many errors. I’ve deactivated all modifiers save armature to let you see the changes I’ve done.

The armature had its bones’ roll all over the place. It’s easier to work with an armature if the bones have a consistent roll. Apart from that, the pole angle for the leg IK controller was not set, and that was making your legs spin in strange angles.

I figured I’d done something wrong with the mesh to begin with. Thank you for taking the time to look at it. I llok forward to seeing what more you find.

Oh, didn’t see your second reply, thank you for letting me see the changes as well as fixing it up. I’ll go look at it and tell you if anything confuses me lol.

Hey Ovnuniarchos. Thank you for your help. I thought I replied previously but it seems to not have gone through. A few more questions if you don’t mind answering them: How do I keep the roll consistent? Do I just recalculate it when I’ve completed the armature (or before that?)? What is the pole angle’s function? The pole angle’s being different on each IK doesn’t effect anything? What did you do to smoothen the mesh? Delete verteces? Thanks again and please excuse my ignorance.