SBlueChu - Sketchbook

Hi everyone,

I am a total hobbyist when it comes to modeling / animation. Everything is self-taught when I have time between work.

Any tips would be extremely appreciated!

I’m most influenced by The Legend of Zelda (still trying to figure out how they did the eyes in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword), Soul Calibur (II and III), Team Fortress 2, Final Fantasy (X-2, I know it’s not the most popular, but I liked the lightness and character designs…), Kingdom Hearts and MMO designs usually from China and Korea.

Since I want to do practical models and animations, I guess I’m trying to find a way to model that is low poly, but I find that difficult. I guess since I think of it like “make the base (body for a character) then layer with additional objects (clothes, accessories, etc.)” I’m trying to get out of that mindset and think more gaming, I suppose.

Just a background so my practice / drafts make sense, I suppose. Funny considering how tempting it is to ramp up the subdivision surface modifier and smooth everything out, lol.

Thanks again!

Pamela - Fanart of the Legend of Zelda, Majora’s Mask
I wanted to draw a grown-up version of Pamela for a long time. She was actually the first thing I tried to model in blender ever, lol.

This was the first thing I ever did:

Just boxy goodness and super basic UV texture trim while everything else was a weird combo of materials and small textures. (Back in 2013, I believe I made this.)

A more recent iteration from early Jan-15 or late Dec-14 is this. This was when I was still hell bent on trying to use separate objects for everything, since it just seemed easier to me, thinking of how possibly it might work for MMOs where characters armor and clothes change constantly. I’m finding that separate objects may not be the case.

The eyes are spheres, and nothing has a texture–it’s all materials just colored to my liking. I’m still trying to learn how to do seams properly, and that also requires my getting better at modeling everything as a single mesh.

Turnaround is below, which REALLY opened my eyes to see that layering everything, including leggings, is just not a practical idea. Turnarounds are amazing.

[video]https://youtu.be/IJjxVhsOReY[/video]

And here are some images:

So now that I know that I want to be more game-design oriented for sanity’s sake (trying to keep this fun for myself), I’m steering more towards designs like the below–still not using textures yet, since that’s taking me the longest to get used to:

Thanks again! I’ll post some of the still life things I’ve done, as well, soon.