Newb can't make it through rigging tutorial...

I am trying to rig a humanoid model. I made the basic bone structure, but I am having heaps of difficulty attaching it to the mesh. If I understand correctly, I’m supposed to select all in object mode, and then go to edit mode and ctrl+p and assign automatic weights… or something to this extent? When I hit ctrl+p I get a menu that says “make parent” and the options are ‘connected’ and ‘keep offset’. I don’t see anything about weights. Can someone please walk me through this connecting the bones to the mesh step in detail?

In object mode select the character
Hold the shift key down and select the armature (in object mode)
Use Ctrl+P to parent with automatic weights

“In object mode select the character
Hold the shift key down and select the armature (in object mode)
Use Ctrl+P to parent with automatic weights”
When I follow those instructions, I get a menu after hitting Ctrl+P with one option: ‘Make Vertex Parent’. I was messing around with it earlier, just selecting this and deselecting that, and I finally received the correct menu, but when I assigned automatic weights, it shifted my bones parents around or something (dotted lines connecting bones to areas they shouldn’t be connected to). Also, my model has clothing on a separate mesh. Could this have something to do with my issues here?

When I follow those instructions, I get a menu after hitting Ctrl+P with one option: ‘Make Vertex Parent’.

Did you follow the instructions, looking at your screenshot the character model is in edit mode not object mode as stated

Oops :o

Thank you for explaining that to me like Denzel said up there. It’s just not my day today :no:.

Attachments

In your last screenshot you also selected the objects in the wrong order. Select model followed by the armature so you parent the model to the armature not the armature to the model.

Right! Thanks Richard, I’m now rigging like a pro :wink: