Shadow Pass too bright

Hello,

I’ve got a weird problem here. I’ve got a simple scene with three area light. There are two Render Layers - one for the object and one for the shadows. In the Render Layer for the shadows, the shadows look good in the Combined pass but they are completely blown out in the shadow pass.

Here’s an image to illustrate the issue. In the upper left you can see the Combined pass of the Object Render Layer, in the upper right you can see the Combined pass of the Shadow Render Layer and below you can see the Shadow pass of the Shadow Render Layer.

Here’s the file of the scene for you to check … http://www.andreasresch.at/upload/ShadowPass_01.zip . There’s an environment map in there, but it’s almost turned down to zero, so it doesn’t make a difference if it’s missing.

Maybe you have a clue what happened there.

Thanks,
Andreas

Hello,

as I export both TIFF and EXR from the file, I checked the Shadow pass in the EXR file and it was fine there. So it looks as if the Shadow Pass in the TIFF file (and the other passes too) have to be Gamma corrected to compensate for the brightness. Putting a Gamme node in front of the TIFF Export node does the trick.

Cheers,
Andreas