FBX 2015 and NURBS import for Blender?

So as I can read the new 2015 FBX should internally also support next to Alembic als NURBS.

Now I am curious if through FBX NURBS data could be imported into Blender.
Or would this not work? I could see that to read NURBS you need a the code for it.
But could the importer convert the NURBS data to mesh in Blender?

Too bad that the openNURBS project was never finished - it was very promising.

You’d be probably better off buying http://moi3d.com/3.0/whatsnew.htm and exporting nice mesh out of MoI into Blender.

guess what I am using :wink:

Yes it is so sad that the rhino format was not really implemented… could have been so promising. Really good format, which could store a lot of different geometry types and file structures… and even an open format! So sad…
I dont have any experience with the fbx format, but it seems to be a very complete File format- does it support layer, groups, shaders etc.? (and now even Nurbs?)
If so it could be an very interesting format for CAD visualisation.
How good/bad is the current fbx support in Blender? Anyone did a proper testing with Cad Files?
I´m using mainly Alias to create high quality Nurbs Models, and since a few versions Alias is supporting FBX format- Maybe Its time to test it.
How do you Guys get your Nurbs/tesselated Nurbs Data into Blender?
What is the best import / data preparation workflow? Why are you using MOI? (MOI also uses the rhino file format, right?)
Using obj can´t be the best soultion…
Grüße aus berlin

I just did some testing with the Alias Fbx exporter… Works really nice- It keeps my shader naming, and invents some crazy structure of empties, which seems to be an interpretation of the Alias grouping… a little confusing- but not a problem for me.
Sad that Blender can`t open the nurbs data which is saved in the FBX- only works with tesselated Data… (in the Alias fbx exporter its just a simple checkbox for meshing the nurbs) still quite comfortable. FBX seems to be quite powerfull…
Does rhino offer a decent FBX export?