LEARNING ABOUT THE DIFFERENCE SOFTWARE does it effect topology and or textures ...

and light?

Is the internal render give more of a animation look? where cycles gives more of a real world look?

now what about these other software like Maya 3dmax that has mental ray and other things. I take it, any model can be made the same and look the same but when it comes to the textures and lighting the render software is what makes the difference and not the modeling software since topology is topology but textures and lighting can be effected in many ways of the software light and textures?

this is what I mean. like big buck bunny, or that light house animation made in blender.those animations look different form this one which was made in maya and mental ray. i spoke to the person who made this.

To see what Blender is capable of, browse the gallery here and open. your. eyes. and. look. If you think Maya and Mental Ray has some sort of magic ‘make-my-render-beautiful’ button, why, buy a Maya and Mental ray license, and go bother that community with your interminable, unanswerable questions.

If you want to learn the software, you need to begin working with the software. If you want to read the Blender/Maya flame war saga, do a search in the threads, you’ll find plenty of Maya rox Maya sux posts. Same for Blender rox Blender sux. Or any other software that you care to name.

It’s a poor workman who blames his tools, DOMO79. What can one say about a workman who never even bothers to pick the tool up?

Blender can now create the same quality as seen in Mental Ray thanks to Cycles.

Look at Elephant’s Dream and Sintel vs. Tears of Steel and Cosmos Laundromat, the first two are made using legacy shading and lighting technology and the latter two with modern and physically based lighting and shading.

Why not put BI away if you haven’t already and start using Cycles, you’ll be stunned at the difference.

FIRST OFF. I didn’t say anything bad about Blender. what i want to know is the difference in internal and cycles. internal seems to have this more animation/game look for textures like the parallax textures. then i asked does mental ray and other software change the look because it seems to do that to textures and lighting. if so, doesn’t blender have options like that say install vray etc. i am asking questions so i can know what i need to learn and what software. so far I like blender it has everything, compositor and so on. so I didn’t say anything bad about blender.
I love blender but I need to learn more about it. I think I may go to the library and get some books on it and try to get all details about it.

things like the uv editor. why does it have a texture size when you enter it and still have to scale the uv/grid to your liking? things like this is what I would like to learn and know more about.

so know bod think i am bashing any software. i just referenced what I know and seen and trying to figure out my texture issues. because i do use texture sites like cgtetxures and then use crazybump. but my textures still look bad I think. here is a image of my texture. I know i didn’t add any maps to it. but thsi is what my tetxures look like. size is good. but still looks plain to me.

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/37128

so do you guys prefer cycles then to internal now? why does it seem to have a different texture look? but i guess all these renders are internal. i am wondering if i am having texture issues because i didn’t learn internal. cycles came out when I started with blender. then i found out plane lights dont help with bump maps and I need a sun lamp. and now. after watching Andrews price light tutorial. i found out about using the tonal range and histogram? to help. but then there is things I would like to know about resetting the scale(ctrl-A) on a mesh do you do this to every mesh or not on mesh that you use edit mode?

then why does the uv editor have texture size dimensions if you still need to scale to your liking? so these are things that I hope will find answers to and will help my textures.

some pictures i found. trying to get my textures to look better like these images. i know samples increase quality but I think I am having texture density issues like in image 3 of the cubes.

Attachments

I need to learn more about textures. maybe why the uv editor has a texture size you can use but still need to scale? or scaling a texture down to repeat or up to show less repeat like the tile image?

Attachments

I m wondering if i should be baking all the maps together? I heard plane lights and the environment lights doesn’t help bring out the bump maps. but then i saw or Maye it was preference that NDO2 looked better than crazybump in that field.(my opinion) so who knows. and thta may be this issue I am having too for my textures. I didn’t learn to use internal. i started last year and been using cycles.

The artist’s tools do what the artist tells them to do. If you want to know the difference between Blender Internal and Cycles, do two renders, one in Blender Internal, the other in Cycles, and look at them.

Mental Ray, Maya, 3dsMax, lighting, texturing, uv’s… none of that changes the look. The artist changes the look. You want to ask questions? Ask Blender your questions. You want to learn more about Blender, start using it.

You don’t understand the UV editor. But the UV editor was explained, in great detail, with examples, in earlier posts. You still didn’t get it. Why do you think reading yet more about the UV editor will make it clear? What will make it clear is you, using the UV editor for many different texturing projects until it clicks. You will not get that out of books, no matter how many books you read.

This is the Lighting and Rendering Support forum. This is where your questions about Lighting and Rendering are answered. Do you have a question about your Lighting project? no. Do you have a question about a render you are working on? no. Why not? Because you don’t seem to have a lighting or rendering project to ask questions about. This might as well be in Off Topic Chat.

Look, DOMO79, your first projects are going to be pretty crude, and there will be things you don’t understand. This is not a big deal, it is part of the learning curve everyone goes through. Everyone. So do your first projects, post them, get some advice on how to improve them, and move on. Your second projects will be better. Notice I said projects, plural. Every time you take on a new aspect of Blender, you are doing a new first project, and it will suck. Why? Because there are always going to be techniques and methods you don’t know the first time you use a tool, that you can only learn by using it.

Seriously, if you spent half the time actually working on projects that you seem to spend agonizing over whether you are doing things the ‘right’ way and not wasting your precious time, you’d be miles ahead of where you are now.

this is my favorite blend that someone did. they said they only used the glossy, normal map and image node. but I like the toon modeling mixed with image textures. I am wondering if maybe it could be my lighting. I dont have specific values on each plane so maybe I should learn that tonel range for light and textures from Andrew price master lighting tutorial?

I know it doesn’t have any maps or subdivisions for the displacement map. ubt i wanted to show what i am getting and to me it looks like dull textures.

Attachments

ok, I will practice more and post then ask questions. because i feel I have wasted a lot of time trying to figure out my texture issues. i do thank you guys though for replying back though. even though it is more replys of practicing and posting then what I am doinf wrong.

As usual, you’re making too many questions at the same time, and trying to understand stuff you don’t even need to know right now.
You’re learning right? Start with the basics:

• Build a model (anything will do)
  • Then UV Unwrap that model. You don’t have to understand every single detail about the process, just follow a tut, or read about the basic concepts and DO IT. I didn’t go well? Then try again, and again, and again, and again, until it “clicks”
  • Now go and paint some maps. The basics:
    • Diffuse is color, just color.
    • Bump and Normal fakes the surface extra detail saving you time in actually creating that detail into the model.
    • Specular controls how shinny the surface is.
  • Now put a light on the scene (just one), make a render. Does it look good? No? Then move the light, play with the intensity and the color, make another render. Is it different? Better? Worse? Try again, make 45 renders and then go back to do one more.
    That exercise alone will teach you more than just filling yourself with information that you don’t know how to use.

As others and myself told you before, just start to make something, try to get the hang of things ONE AT THE TIME, and don’t get caught up in technical details that are obviously too complex to begin with… Do things, experiment, make mistakes, fuck things up, learn from your mistakes and please stop trying to understand everything about everything. Otherwise you’ll get stuck and never get anywhere.

So I downloaded your blend and it looks like this …

And you say “it still looks plain to me” …
What do you mean by plain?

What are you trying to achieve?
If you want to create an image of a single piece of wood straight from the mill, then that is fine.
It is plain because it is regular without any sign of aging

Changing your lighting setup or render enginge will not change the simplicity of the image

Best of luck

The point to take home is that there is no engine out there that will instantly make an awesome image out of whatever textured objects you throw into.

You need to learn concepts such as modeling, lighting, shading, texturing, render settings, and more. Otherwise you’re not going to make it far in 3D.

I know, I am not only studying 3d but i figured if I watch wood working things like that. i can actually build the item in 3d because I know how it goes together. for an example a window frame. instead of just insetting and extruding, i am actually trying to make the window panels and window frame. that way the pieces that intersect can show spacing like in real world examples.

but as far as texturing i know it will take me awhile especially if I am working on my modeling, and need to learn Photoshop more. so… I plan to work on maybe using ambient occlusion with toon wire frame? but how do I set up lighting for that? Do I make the environment lighting for that? thanks guys for your help.

Attachments

I understand the uv editor and how to mark seams. what i dont understand is this pixel density. I thought your not suppose to stretch a mesh? but see how plank 1 has a stretched uv and how much better the texture looks> even if i create a new image and put in the texture resolution, I still have this issue afterwards and need to scale the uv. if I can figure this out I wouldn’t be having texture issues besides trying to weather them which I will need Photoshop for that or learn painting the image texture. the other thing i have been doing is learning how things are made. like wood working. i put an example of a window and its panels above in this post.