Batman Sculpt

Current version:

I have a couple days off of work so I thought it would be a good time to improve my sculpting skills. I want to sculpt at least 1 body part per day. I’m a big Batman fan so my goal is to do a complete sculpt.

Monday - torso
Tuesday - legs/boots
Wednesday - arms (maybe gauntlet)
Thursday - head
Friday - cape

Attachments

That’s pretty cool. Are you adding and sculpting each body part from start to finish, or have you set work-in-progress parts to hidden? Also, what was your technique for getting that insignia on the torso? It looks so clean.

The head, gauntlets and boots will be separate objects (not created yet) that I will sculpt. I’ll be using dynamic topology to add more geometry for the rest of the arms and legs. Tomorrow I will get rid of the current detail i have for the legs and start over. The insignia is just a flat plane that I modelled a long time ago (made tons of different symbols) and I have it shrink-wrapped to the torso. Then a solidify modifier is used to give it thickness.

May I suggest you add a fabric pattern on the suit material so that it doesn’t look too plastic.Good modelling by the way.

Today’s results:

I basically threw out my plan from yesterday. I spent some time on the legs and added in place holder boots and while I was doing that I thought I should just add the gauntlets and the head as well. I’m reusing the gauntlets but I will be resculpting the back of the hand. I also imported a head that I made a while ago (img below) but didn’t like how it looked on the sculpt. I sculpted a new head from scratch that I like a bit more.

I’m trying to get as close to Greg Capullo’s batman as I can but its hard to convert it to 3D because areas like the chest and upper legs are detailed while the rest is covered (by shadows or cape) or has low detail/cartoonish. Hopefully once I add a cape the transition between the head and the body will look better.

All I got done today was the boots and the hands. Just applied a random material from my collection.

I want to work on the lower leg a bit more then I think I’ll move on to retopologizing everything so I can add detail like the body suit lines and fabric wrinkles.

Wow just only noticed this thread!

Would love to see the final result :smiley:

Nice progress.

I think you should also adjust the belt a bit when you get into detailing though. It looks pretty stiff, as if the whole belt was one solid object.

Spent the day retopologizing the cowl and batsuit. I started getting lazy at around the halfway mark which is why the lower part of the body is a lot more dense and doesn’t have as good of topology as the arms and chest. It should be fine for the high res sculpt and rigging/posing.

Testing out the rig. Most of the character was parented to the rig correctly, the belt on the other hand didn’t work at all. The pouches on the belt use an array and curve modifier and and its not playing nice with the armature.

I might make an actual mouth for him but im still trying to figure out a pose. If its an aggressive pose then I think the mouth should be open, otherwise what I have should be good. Also the cape will be added once the pose is figured out.

Trying different poses and trying to figure out what areas need work. The groin, knees and wrists are problematic. I think I can just modify the weights for the wrist and use sculpt mode to quickly fix the groin and knees.

Attachments

i think this model would be great as an action figure, but if you are aiming for realism, it’s not that great. the sculpting work is great, but his body proportion still look off for some reason. i am not very certain since i haven’t learn much about human’s anatomy yet, but i think his shoulder could be a little wider, cause batman have always been portrait as a giant person. the legs maybe a bit short, the face needs some love too. material, a little too shiny, but this is probably just a test version. and finally the cape should be bigger.

i still like this a lot though, so keep up the good work.

Awesome progress.

I also thought there was something off though. At first I thought his belt was too high or his hips were too wide.

It took me a few minutes before I realized he was missing his traditional black bat-briefs. I think those would contribute a lot.

Here are some of the reference images I’m using. This version of batman doesnt really have a lot of detail in the face and the statues and toys I remember reading somewhere that the statues and toy do get some hate because of the face. This batman doesn’t have a very long cape, its usually like the second img with just a bit of it dragging.

I’m defiantly not aiming for realism but you were dead on about it being like an action figure. I was heavily using the statues and toys that were based on Greg Capullo’s comics as a reference.

I’ll see if making the shoulders/chest wider will help with the belt issue.

Attachments

-Modified the shoulders
-Made belly button more noticeable
-Added some wrinkles to the suit
-Increased strength of bump on the suit
-Added leather material to cape, gloves and bat emblem

i think it looks quite better now. why don’t you pose him just like that third pic so you can notice the differences easier?

The posed version in your 01:29 post is excellent. Love the energy of it.
That’s great job!!

Here’s another pose. I like how the cape turned out. The other pose used a cloth sim and some sculpting but this was just modelled.

majestic AF xD ! maybe give some more touches on the boots and gloves, but this is pretty fine already.

Started making a scene and played around with lighting a bit.

Should I go with the one where hes lit up or dark one (like he is hiding in the shadows)?