Tech Support

Is there a demand for freelance tech support people in OH? I am planning to move there and I wonder if I can try taking in projects while looking for work.

Paid jobs forum is not for advertising your availability for work.

Moved to Off Topic

You know while volunteering at the local food pantry the other day I ran into an older fella who seemed quite upset about the technical support he received from Geek Squad. I’ve never used them myself so I can’t vouch for the validity of this, but he indicated that he hired them because his PC was running slow, largely due to adware. He was upset because he says they did very little to fix any problems and instead mainly just tried to sell him a new computer from Best Buy and then installed their own adware on his PC advertising Geek Squad/Best Buy.

Anyway if any of that is true, and I certainly wouldn’t know, maybe if you just hang out near a Best Buy every now and again looking for disgruntled Geek Squad customers you’d pick up some business.

I guess there will always be a demand for tech people. Just try to look through the sites online (sorry but I guess I wont mention it for some reason). You will see there is a ton of opportunity in there.

quite upset about the technical support he received from Geek Squad.

and DO NOT !!! use them
best buy fired all the knowledgeable people ( too expensive) replaced them with SALES staff with some training
i do not think many of them can hack the MS system registry ( use regedit.exe )or know what a " .deb" or a “.rpm” are for linux .
Or have ever installed a operating system ( windows , linux, bsd,…)

some will but not many

I’m trying to apply to Parachute since they focus on IT support services. I did some search online and they seem great. Any one who knows about them or has experience working for them?

I remember one tech support position I had years ago. I was brought on after this company acquired a number of other companies and wanted to consolidate tech support in one location.

After we all got pretty comfortable with everything they started requiring us to enter problems and solutions into a searchable ‘knowledge base.’ The idea was that once the knowledgeable people solved a lot of the common problems and entered those solutions into the database they would just fire them and replace them with cheaper significantly less knowledgeable people who could just solve problems by searching the knowledge base that was created by those of us who were stabbed in the back.

P.S. I actually quit that job when I noticed the executioners sharpening their blades then went on to what ended up being the last company I would ever work for. Quit there shortly after the company was caught stealing from medicare.

in highschool ( 1980 to 84 ) i had access to a IBM pc at home

so i have been around this things for a bit