How to archieve photorealism?

Hi guys,

I presume this is a hard question to answer, since im guessing that you need to consider a lot of things to get realistic results.
But i would like to get some tips about photorealism and how to archieve it.

Do you mind sharing some knowledge with me and the rest of users? :smiley:

first you need a good model/scene with alot of details, then you need realistic materials/shaders/textures, then you need realistic lighting with a plausible camera

after all that you can tweak some final things in compositing to get the last finishing touches

Good models, textures, and lighting only goes so far. What a lot of people forget about making CG look real is that there are imperfections in the photographic process(digital or film) that just arenā€™t there in rendered CG. Cameras and lenses have a limited depth of field, there is an atmosphere through which the light moves, etc. A lot of this stuff is subtle and we often donā€™t even realize that itā€™s there until it isnā€™t, and then our minds scream ā€œFAKE!!!ā€ and we donā€™t know why. A good habit to get into is to use reference materials of the kind of thing you are looking to create. If you want to make a car, then look at how a car looks, look at how the light hits and interacts with the paint, how the glass on the windows has a different kind of shinyness to that of the paint, or the wheels, and so on.

Beyond that, well, a lot of the tricks and techniques that can be used to make something look photorealistic are very dependent on just what it is you are making, so I couldnā€™t tell you much more.