I don't give a shit about cycles, I want blender render

How do I set up normal maps and spec and gloss maps for BLENDER RENDER and NOT CYCLES!? Every useless piece of information is ha the setup in cycles even though I’m not trying to waste 500000000000000000000000000000000000 years until the end of the universe waiting for it to render and I’m not even trying to make it photorealistic.

Add a texture to your material and set it to the correct influence for the type of map.
See
http://www.blender.org/manual/render/blender_render/textures/options.html#textures-stack
http://www.blender.org/manual/render/blender_render/textures/influence/material.html

For tangent space normal maps you’ll also need to enable ‘normal map’ in the Texture / Image Sampling panel, otherwise the texture will be used as a bump map when influencing geometry

He nube… there is no reason to go crazy with BI and you dont need 500000000000000000000000000000000000 years :). BI is just a bit different to cycles especially the procedural textures. Richard did give you a good example… It is just like cycles without the nodes.

Blendernube, cycles does not take long to render… all though it depends on what you are rendering. if you are not trying to get photorealism then you are probably not using a lot of glossy, translucent or glass shaders, witch means you can render it with a low amount of samples and still not get a grainy image.

Ok, I already said what I’m looking for so if you personally like using cycles, I don’t care, this isn’t about cycles. Otherwise, thanks to Richard for progress, it looks like checking normal and turning on the normal geometry in the texture settings gives it a nice roughness. Is there a way to do that same sort of thing but for a specular and gloss map?

Select the appropriate setting for your texture to influence

Specular

Intensity
Amount texture affect specular reflectivity

Color
Influences the Specular color, the color of the reflections created by the lamps on a glossy material.

Hardness
Influences the specular hardness amount. A DVar of 1 is equivalent to a Hardness of 130, a DVar of 0.5 is equivalent to a Hardness of 65.

Shading

Ambient
Influences the amount of Ambient light the material receives.

Emit
Influences the amount of light Emitted by the material.

Mirror
Influences the mirror color. This works with environment maps and raytraced reflection.

Ray Mirror
Influences the strength of raytraced mirror reflection.

No, I mean a specular map. I have an image that I turned into a normal and displacement and specular and etc map using crazybump. I want the specular map image I have to map the specularity of the object in specific areas according the brightness and darkness of the map, like you would see in cycles.

From what you said blendernub this looks something like the setup you need, As always with nodes there is more then one way to Rome.

“No, I mean a specular map.” thats what they are telling you about!! unclick color and select one or all 3 of the specular selections.

I’m actually getting a weird problem now where the texture normal mapping is only being applied to the head of the creature despite the fact that the original texture covers all of its body. Why would the normal map only be applied to a specific part of the mesh when the texture I created it from covers all of the mesh? There is a “marked seem” along its neck, but removing it didn’t seem to do anything.

Thanks for the node setup too Joseph

Well no thanks to you guys who supposedly have “experience” with blender, I found the answer, I had to apply the texture to all vertices of the mesh and it somehow was only assigned to all vertices on the head.

Wow - how rude. Something tells me that future help won’t be very forthcoming…:no:

How rude of you to only post now, I posted that error weeks ago and this fake, so called “community” offered absolutely no help whatsoever for what turned out to be a common issue. Out of everything I’ve talked about, only two things have ever been remotely resolved and I ain’t the only one on here who’s seen that problem first hand, its a disgrace.

i was going to act as the “tech support” type / professor / TA

and get some needed details

a few things stuck out

I have an image that I turned into a normal and displacement and specular and etc map using crazybump.

crazybump is fairly good
BUT i use a lot of “Shape from shade” and “mesh( object model) from lighting model” ( like SFS but better)
and Stereo ( and multi) image stereographic processing .

To extract albedo and height information from images
– NOTHING works great

but some are better than others
basically it is VERY hard to get GOOD height data from a texture for a 3d person / creature.

It is VERY easy to get a very BAD height map to make a normal from

so posting images WOULD have helped

your last issue
[

I’m actually getting a weird problem now where the texture normal mapping is only being applied to the head of the creature

Sounds to be one of UV mapping .

again with no images to look at we can only make wild guesses

Offered no help whatsoever? You had a reply that answered your question within 20 minutes of posting it. What more do you want?

Also - what “error”. Your original question didn’t mention anything about an error - you seemed to be ranting about the lack of information on setting up specular and normal maps for Blender Internal.

As for not replying myself.

1. You already had an answer to your question (see point above). There is no point in 100 people all posting similar things. If you need more specific information, target your question better or ask more questions…politely. These boards work best of you ask specific questions and give specific examples. Questions like “How do I set up normal maps and spec and gloss maps for BLENDER RENDER” are very broad and will probably be met with links to tutorials or links to the blender manual/wiki (like the second post in this thread).

2. BI has been around for much longer than cycles (around 20 years, as opposed to Cycles 4) - so there is loads of information out there. Some of it may be a little old as most of the newer tutorials deal with cycles - but the information is relatively easy to find if you search.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=blender+internal+normal+map+tutorial

I got two video tutorials from the first page of the above Google search - these are entitled:

“Blender 2.6 Normal/Bump Mapping” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D4AXXEuuio

“how to apply normal maps in blender, internal render” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLL9WpKW6VE

You could also try reading the BlenderBasics e-book. That should give you a pretty good grounding - as far as I can tell - it deals exclusively with blender internal renderer and doesn’t mention Cycles at all.

http://www.cdschools.org/cms/lib04/PA09000075/Centricity/Domain/81/BlenderBasics_4thEdition2011.pdf

1. I tend to try and avoid threads that start off with a shouty, sweary rant. Questions should be polite and specific, containing as much detail as you can muster in order to help people understand what your issue is and put them in a position to be able to help. Your initial post contained 69 words (including the title) yet your actual question was only 18 words long - the rest (almost 3/4 of the post) was a shouty, sweary rant - for which there was absolutely no need. Top top it off with a post which basically says ‘thanks for nothing’ is uncalled for.

Remember - anybody who does post is taking time out of their life to help you. It doesn’t matter whether its 10 seconds or 10 hours - somebody still took the time and you should show a little more gratitude to those who did. Perhaps those people who can help best are working, on holiday etc etc. Don’t assume there is an army of blender users poised at their keyboards just waiting to answer your questions.

1. I don’t use BI so didn’t really feel qualified to answer, short of googling stuff for you (which you can surely do yourself). My experience with Blender is exclusively with Cycles (I only came to blender after Cycles was released). If you check my posting history - I do try and help where I can. Also BI is old news - Cycles is the future - get with the program :smiley:

As for things not being remotely resolved - I have looked through your thread history and with the exception of one thread which was only started yesterday - all of them have replies offering advice or pointers. In all but one of them you haven’t bothered to thank the contributors, or even to follow up when people have asked for more information. In one thread you even insulted the person who offered advice telling them they were wrong (even though you admittedly didn’t understand what the contributor was saying). Is it any wonder people may be reluctant to help if you are so confrontational and abrupt?

You can’t expect people to give you the final solution to every problem. Most of the time people will offer pointers and expect you to put some effort into researching further (like the thread where somebody suggested baking the physics). Did you even try googling “blender bake physics” before you gave your terse response to their answer.

How rude of you to only post now, I posted that error weeks ago and this  fake, so called "community" offered absolutely no help whatsoever for  what turned out to be a common issue. Out of everything I've talked  about, only two things have ever been remotely resolved and I ain't the  only one on here who's seen that problem first hand, its a disgrace.  

Since you used the word shit in the thread name. I can say: Dont bash a Blender community who is trying to help YOU WHINY PIECE OF SHIT!

Obviously you didn’t see the dates where I gave a reply July 4th and still didn’t get one single attempt at an answer until July 27th. And guess what, ranting worke? Obviously being nice and patient doesn’t work or I wouldn’t need to wait 2-3 god damn weeks for a remote reply AFTER I REPLIED. Just because people offer their 2 cents worth doesn’t magically mean all questions are answered.

How about I keep doing my job getting jobs for homeless people, engineering machines, working in a warehouse and cleaning up parks and you keep living your cushy nerf life and learn one fucking piece of software instead wasting your time trolling random people on random threads on your fat ass.

Seriously dude? :no:

If you don’t feel qualified to answer than why the hell are you wasting everyone’s time, including your own? Get the hell out of here, Jesus Christ. All of those paragraphs to pretentiously become involved and yet none of it resolves anything.

So you didn’t find the google search hint, the tutorials I posted links for or the link to the BlenderBasics e-book at all useful then?