Realtime Matchmoving Test

All camera tracking data was captured in realtime with a Kinect.

Of course no test would be complete without Suzanne :slight_smile:

This is pretty cool. There’s a little bit of slippage, but it’s a lot better than I was expecting from a Kinect. Are the markers on the wall even necessary? I thought the Kinect just detected surfaces.

Steve S

Up until now camera tracking with the Kinect has been done using point clouds/surface detection. But the ICP algorithm is very GPU intensive and has difficulty with fast movements and drift. By using retroreflective markers the Kinect’s infrared camera can track points much more easily.

The “slippage” is caused by inaccuracies in how the Kinect calculates distance. Because it’s based on reflected light, different materials return slightly different results at different distances. So as of right now the tracking is more precise than it is accurate.

Wow, this is REALLY cool. If only we can manage to combine this solution with production cameras, that would make matchmoving so much faster and easier.

That is really impressive stuff, I especially liked the other videos on your channel demonstrating your work. I would love to try this out myself as well. As Sergusster said, it could save so much time compared to the current camera tracker. Plus, there are times when we only want a natural, organic camera movement and don’t even care about the actual footage!