Softbody: Belt constricting growing softbody?

Hi,

I’m trying to simulate a growing sphere that has a belt around it, that then when the ball grows makes an indentation into the sphere (sinks into it), very much like a too tight belt on a persons fat belly.

I have not been able to achieve this. I switched off gravity, to keep the objects from falling down, and made the sphere grow, but even with both objects as softbodies and collission detection switched on, they don’t really react to it.
How can I achieve this?

Thanks,

Markus

Solved my own problem:

Just make the belt an object with collision switched on, but no gravity.
Then just grow the soft body and that works, add a sub surf modifier to the belt and the ball, make sure you set soft body collision to faces. It will get slow, but be accurate. the goal setting so far is not working well for me, it either will go that the object will not grow any more or it will just drop, and it will bob most of the time. This setting is really confusing.

try the “bake all dynamics” thingy, it will bake them all simultaneously :slight_smile: it might help…

be sure you have the right order for the modifier stack… typically you would want the softbody physics at the top , then any subsurf modifiers below this (unless you want VERY high quality (very slow) softbody deformation.)