Mitsuba Test

Damn this render is fast on the CPU, 52 seconds at 80 samples and it’s clear - much better than cycles, I need to play around more with this render. The SSS implementation is pretty hot too, in my tests it is much faster than renderman.

I would love to see how you go about using it in terms of taking an existing Blender scene and using the Mitsuba Engine. Assuming its not just like switching from Internal to Cycles

It’s actually really simple, in the addon exporter you just click on the convert all cycle materials to mitsuba and you’re good to go.

Only trouble is it’s no way near as flexible as the cycles node editor.

I experimented with mitusba for awhile, I really like it.

Well, it seems to be worth a shot! However, the decreased node flexibility does worry me some ):

Hi @iamthwee, interessting test.
Can you may share the .blend?
I can try on latest Luxrender 1.5 RC1 and Octane.
Lights and environment should be easy to convert but SSS is a little problem.
Render developer cant agree on settings for SSS. :slight_smile:

Cheers, mib

Hi, on my side it doesn’t render hairs. How is it on yours?
Am playing with your Ted-2.blend… lovely, thanks.
Blender 275, Win7 x64
File: Ted-2_mitsuba.blend
QuickTest:
http://theorysend.com/uploads/40bdfa429d1730f0f283d0949074d0ce97156932

Note:
Just switch between the r-engines.
(Cycles is set to render on GPU/CUDA)

Yeah, that’s why I stick with Cycles. Allows me to create so many awesome materials(especially procedural). Yafaray is nice and quick, but again no nodes. I would like to try Mitsuba, but it doesn’t work for me :frowning:

@burnin that’s nice with a little more tweaking of the materials it is looking closer to the original, I’m sure mitsuba supports hair but I don’t know if it works with the exporter.

@liquidhelix, yes you’re right any workflow that fragments from blender I consider a setback. But in regards to materials, sometimes people misuse the nodes, and most people don’t know what they’re doing, which is why you see so many newbie renders using cycles. I think this can be a bad thing, you look at mitsuba and they have nice presets so you can’t really screw up. And there’s very little times in the real world where you need to mess around with nodes if you think about it. This is partly why I decided to create my perfect studio tests. So people could browse a material open the file and append it to their existing model.

mib here is the blend file primed for mitsuba. I’d be interested in your test results.

monsters-plastic-mitsuba.blend (3.25 MB)

**Edit just found a quick way to render hair in mitsuba.

It’s pretty useless though

Hi, made some tests with Octane.
The SSS material is really hard to convert, Octane have a compete different material system.
Pathtracing, rendertime 1 minute on GTX 760:

Cheers, mib

Interesting I did go over the top with the sss on the orange guy, so my cpu mitsuba renders in about the same time as octane on the GPU. I’ve got a 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 dual core processor (mac mini).

Given my perfect cycles tests, I find it really difficult to justify purchasing an octane license. I just can’t see the any noticeable differences?

Yes, Mitsuba is really fast and SSS on GPU is slow.
I got Octane for 99€ during beta and Blender for Octane for free as Beta tester but I would not buy it today again.
For arch viz and product render Octane is amazing fast and easy to setup.
When I find time I like to give Luxrender a shot.

Cheers, mib

Here we go:
PathOpenCL, rendered on GPU and CPU (specs in Signature), render time 2 minutes.

Here the SSS material slows down the render engine too (~30%), this is may because of my noobish material settings.
My resume is Octane still the fastest for me with a big plus of real time preview and easy setup (5 minutes).
Luxrender is powerfull, can use GPU and CPU and preview is working in Blender but looks not the same as final.
If you set up preview like final it is to slow for preview.
Mitsuba is powerful too, very fast on CPU but you have to render, material preview is not enough.

Had fun during testing, cheers, mib

Could you maybe create a thread on this in the Lux forum or just send me a scene that shows the problem?
Preview and final should match in most cases, maybe I can fix the problem.

The Lux image also seems a bit more blurry than the other ones, maybe we should decrease the standard filter width.

Hi B.Y.O.B, send to Luxrender forum > http://www.luxrender.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=12255

Cheers, mib

Mitsuba seems to be quite glitchy for me. Errors on materials and such. I also found i could not use alpha transparency textures to render ivy leaves for example. It could be because im a total noob at it, but i could not see any way to do it, even with the mask material.

sono2000 this how you create ivy leafs in mitsuba:
Create a plane then add an opacity material,create an alpha leaf texture and assign it to opacity mask(this is your mask), then add a two sided mat and place it in opacity material, then a diffuse mat with a leaf texture and use it for both mat 1 & 2 reference in the two sided mat,open the textures in the image editor uv unwrap the plane (project from view bounds), add a sun, choose extended volumetric path tracer and hit render.

It looks that mitsuba has changed something. This is what I get with the latest mitsuba render and addon. It is too many light now.

Hi guys !
Quick test made with Yafaray, SPPM method, different shader settings, 1mn28 sec. I had faster results ( 1mn) but a little more blotchy.
I had same problem with Mitsuba, too much light ( Blender 2.76b). Mitsuba is very interesting but not suitable for production…any news from Wenzel Jakob ?