Controlling Bridge Edge Loops Option [Pics Included]

When I try to bridge these two shapes, it is pinning them in at their intersection so I get bulging on either end of there they are attached, this is not the result I want. I have used it in the past for bridging other loops with success, but am having trouble in this situation.

You can see what I mean, I dont want it to pinch in at the orange highlighted area. Any ideas?

Please supply a link to your .blend file for this portion of your object so we can see what is wrong with the mesh

Have a close look at your left screenshot:
See how the bottom part of that mesh is darker than the top part? That’s because the normals in the bottom part are facing the wrong way: The mesh is quite literally turned “inside out”. That’s why the bridge command has to fail, as Blender can’t determine a general direction of the object’s normals.

http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?373900-How-to-model-details-on-helmet&p=2895344&viewfull=1#post2895344

You have a bigger problems than flipped normals, your loops don’t have the same number of verts, they can’t be bridged. You either need to reduce your verts on the top piece, or add some cuts to the lower one.

Here’s a link to the .blend file http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/496374/chicken1.blend

I have tried the suggestion for flipping the normals so they are all dark, this didn’t fix it.

You have a bigger problems than flipped normals, your loops don’t have the same number of verts, they can’t be bridged. You either need to reduce your verts on the top piece, or add some cuts to the lower one.

It’s hard to see from the picture I posted, but I did subdivide the edges on the bottom so that there are the same number of vertices on the “crown” and the base. You can see this from the file once it is open.

I would really appreciate some more help, sorry I took so long to reply, 4th of July and all!

Of all the file hosting services in the world, why did you have to choose one that requires giving away one’s mail address in order to download the file? I’m sure many would like to help, but for the price of risking being flooded with spam?

Fine, here http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=05919837944700469048

The number of vertices in both edge loops is still not equal, as you have 14 in the top, but 16 in the bottom edge loop.

In addition to that, just turn off the mirror modifier for a moment:
In the bottom area the right half of the mesh is the “real” one, but in the top it’s the left… Blender ignores the “virtual” geometry the mirror modifier creates and tries to bridge what is really there. Since the “real” geometry belongs to different halves of the mesh, the bridge operation crosses sides, too.

Btw, the internal faces in the cockscomb might also cause trouble. And a W > Remove Doubles finds 188 double vertices…

Ah ok is there a way around that mirror issue? I can swap the mirror sides somehow, right?
I created the top from cones so it just mirrored it that way by default, I guess.

And yeah I should remove those double verts…

The Mirror modifier works “per object”, so it can’t change the mirror direction just for parts of the mesh.
What you can do is Tab into Edit mode, select just the cockscomb’s polygons and hit Ctrl-M and then X (= mirror selected across the X axis). You might have to adjust the positon of the polygons along the X axis afterwards.

Ok great, yeah that worked, no more pinching in the middle, I really appreciate it Ikari!

Also removed the doubles since that was obviously a good idea too :slight_smile:
Now time to move onto color mapping… much work to do.