Environment Scans + Tutorial

Hello, everyone! I’ve just recently completed work on a new PhotoScan guide, and wanted to share some of the models with you. It’s been about a month and a half of work. First off, here’s the video:

This video focused on scanning natural environments, so I ended up shooting quite a few trees. This first tree is the largest one I shot; it’s trunk is about 6-7 feet thick!

Here’s a palm tree. I found the trunk structure to be very interesting and wanted to see how much detail I could capture with just a handful of photos.

Here’s one last tree. I found the root system to be very cool, so I focused on scanning that rather than the whole tree. It was a little difficult since it was still a bit dark out, and I only had my monopod with me; but I’m relatively happy with how it came out.

Next up is a bit of the rock formations from a local beach. I couldn’t get as many shots of this as I wanted to, because I had to keep my shadow out of the frame, but it’s still pretty good.

Lastly, here’s another section of rocks on a different day. This one took the most images by far (over 150!), because it was such a complex shape. I’m especially pleased with the accuracy of the hole or “tunnel” seen in the bottom right corner. I didn’t take many photos of it, but it resolved very well in the final scan.

I hope you enjoy the video, and perhaps it will help aid you in your work! Part 2 of environment scanning (focusing on manmade environments) will follow soon.

And just for the heck of it, here’s one last pic. Thanks for the GoPro, John and Mary!

Huge thanks, James! :wink: - Reyn

Glad you enjoyed it, Reynante!

Thanks for this. I looked at Photoscan about a year ago but you’ve inspired me to have another look at it and maybe do something worthwhile.

Thank you very much !!!

Cool scans and a very good tutorial, James. It’s easy to follow and funny. Thank you.

That’s some really amazing work! I could see this being phenomenally useful for displacement-map modeling.

Once again nice job James…lots of possibilities with this tool:)

crazychristina - I’m delighted to hear my video helped inspire you to go out and start scanning! Your results look very promising! PhotoScan looks like it would be a great addition to your already impressive set of skills. Thanks for watching!

noh - You’re welcome! Glad you enjoyed it!

minoribus - Thank you! I’m really happy to learn that people find the video both informative and fun to watch. Those were the main goals when I set out.

Argent108 - You’re exactly right! Displacement map data is another excellent use of scan data.

Derek - Thanks again! Yes, there are many options for how to use scan data- part 2 of environment scanning will cover some of them!

Thanks for all the great comments, everyone. Thanks as well for subscribing- Classy Dog Films now has over 11,000 subscribers. Wow!

If you happen to try out PhotoScan yourself, I would love to see your results. After all, when I make these videos, I hope that they will inspire you to create something, so please don’t hesitate to share it with us!

Hi @James_Candy, Excellent work, very impressive. Would be possible to use these for a personal project?

Regards,
Seb.

Wow, just wow.

Oh and thanks, also thanks!

Sebastian - Thanks! And sure, do you mean you would like the raw scans? Or would you like the raw images to generate the scans at higher resolution? Either way is fine, just let me know which scans you’re interested in!

3pointEdit - Thanks, David! Very happy you found it enjoyable!

What happen if i don’t use any mask? Photoscan recognize the object?

Great tutorial , i really appreciated,at this time i’m focused on food especially bread.

Hi, marcoso! You don’t have to use masks when generating your mesh; I didn’t bother with any of mine in the video. Masks are helpful for keeping unimportant points out of the scene, as well as helping to define boundaries if you didn’t shoot the subject from every angle (top, bottom, front, back, left, right, etc). The more complicated the shape of the object, the more masking might help. But masking isn’t necessary.

I have seen some very good photoscanned bread (and other food). I can share some images with you if you like, just private message me!

I’ve always wanted to go into PhotoScan, and now you’ve inspired me to check it out. Downloading the trial version now! The only thing that scares me a bit is the requirements to run the high-res scans… I hope it’ll run fine on my PC.

abalaich - I’m glad the video inspired you to try it out! For comparison, my computer is a bit old; I bought it refurbished in 2008. It’s a Gateway quad-core (I believe 2.4 Ghz) with 8 GB of RAM (upgraded from 3 GB) and a newer video card (Nvidia GTX 660 ti).

Nice tutorial, James

if anyone is looking to play with some 3d scanning and doesn’t want to drop much coin on software check out this tutorial: http://wedidstuff.heavyimage.com/index.php/2013/07/12/open-source-photogrammetry-workflow/

it requires a little more technical wrestling, but is an open-source / free software pipeline for scanning via photos.

Hi James, thanks for your answer, I forgot to subscribe to the thread xD I mean the scans, trees and rocks :slight_smile:

Cheers!
Seb.