Garden Tomb excavation

Hi. I’ve posted an image before on this project in finished section… Just because i was done with that one illustration. But in here i will post my progress…

Background for the project.
I’m working on illustrating excavations done at Garden Tomb in Israel, it started in the late 1970. And the ark of the covenant was the item that was searched for.

I hope to post images here as i work with them, and maybe someone has some good advice for me along the way…

First image:

I would appreciate feedback in any form… :slight_smile: thank you…

New update, from another place in the dig. All textures are made by mixing photographs together with noise-generators in substance designer 4.6… It’s a bit noisy, but i’m kinda struggling with long render-times, in spite of GPU-rendering… (2x660ti)

-c-

looks really nice so far. I have been looking at substance designer. cool program.

Thanks… :slight_smile: Substance designer is really nice… Although I’ve probably just barely scratched the surface of it, it is still very powerful. :slight_smile: I’ll post more updates soon… I’ve been working on something else for a while now, and still have a little to go, but soon i’ll be back on this project again… Looking forward to that… :slight_smile:

-c-

btw… I’m really happy when i get some replies, cause i’m all alone doing 3d at the place i’m currently living… No-one to talk 3d with, or to get proper feedback from… :stuck_out_tongue: hehe…

Hi, ‘tiny’ update. I managed to cut the rendertime from ca. 47minutes to about 30 on cpu… Nice thing is that I managed to optimize the textures to the point where i was able to render with my two 660Ti’s… That cut rendertime down to 4.5 minutes… That kinda helps a little… Added texture on the piece in the bottom right, and also added some more stones and roots to the ‘roof’ of the cave… Still missing a guy in here though… He’ll come later… :slight_smile:

New update again. This is part of the scene with the tunnel-system beneath on the right hand side… I had rendering times over 50 minutes per frame on this piece at first… But today i managed to get it rendering under 7 minutes per frame on cpu. I’m really happy about that, since now my ONE subscription will really come in handy… :smiley:

-c-

I’ve tried to make this image more believable by adding lamps, a cable and working a bit more on the lighting from the outside. Tell me what you think… :slight_smile:

I’m truly astonished that this hasn’t got more attention and comments so far, because it is superb work. I’m neither a photographer nor a professional 3D guy, but to me you renders are pretty convincing and impressive. There are some areas that need some work like the bottom ground in #5, but all in all that is awesome. You captured the materials and the light (especially in #6) so well. Keep at it.

looking really nice. I like the transition from yellow to blue light.

:smiley: You guys are too kind… Thank you so much for the nice comments… :slight_smile: That made my day…

Did a little update inside the other cave again… :slight_smile: The shovel looks misplaced though… I’ll move it next update…