Fixing a UV Map

Ive been looking for a resolution to this for a while now and I can’t seem to find a fix, was wondering if you guys could help.

I am in the middle of rigging a pretty detailed model, I have sunk hours in so far. I have the model textured. I edited the mesh after I noticed a serious modelling error. I deleted 6 faces, and added in the 8 I needed to fix the issue.

I went to the UV map and the new faces were stretched right across entire png image making the new area look like a mess.

When I got into UV Editing - Mask I can see the faces are totally distorted. I can’t point pull the points back (even though I can see exactly where they are meant to go), as it just warps the whole map.

I just need to pull these new faces back to where they are meant to be, and no matter what I try I can’t seem to get it right.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

This is what I do in that situation, there may be a better way

1. in edit mode select all verts
  2. in the uv editor, select all uvs
  3. in the uv editor hit p to pin the uvs. at this point if you unwrap again nothing will change because all the uvs are pinned, or locked, in position.
  1. in edit mode select only the newly created vertices
  2. in the uv editor hit alt p to un pin them
  3. on the model u to unwrap. the new ones and they will be unwrapped using the surrounding pinned ones.

About the pinning that Photox mentioned, an unwrap can also look pretty bad if you forget to unpin vertices if you need to redo part of it.

In this case, you might need to start from scratch by unpinning everything and figuring out the best places to mark the seams (which tells the unwrapping algorithm where to keep vertices separated).

Thanks very much, I figured it might have something to do with the pinning.
I managed to fix a few of the faces. I just selected the faces on their own and unwrapped, but they joined in weird ways, so i will try again with the pinning!

Thanks guys! Appreciate the help!