Multiple vertices at single location??? Mesh creation.

Hey I am making my first face mesh for a character, when I extrude parts of the image, it is making multiple vertices at the same location which is causing major problems…

Is there a way to merge these vertices at the same location? And to avoid this happening in the future?

Thanks.

Is there a way to merge these vertices at the same location?
Select all vertices and W / Remove Doubles

And to avoid this happening in the future?
If you extrude and change your mind don’t just cancel it undo it. Extrude is a two stage process, duplicate and translate. If you cancel you are just cancelling the translate but you have still duplicated the original vertices

Thank you that’s very good to know!

I’ve had this problem before:

You will notice the vertice that is selected. It was originally the vertice to the left, but there was a duplicate. I’m not sure how it happened (I do believe I had added a face). To fix this, I simply press “X” to delete the vertice. If there’s more than two, I’ll just pull another one out, and delete it. I would continue this process until I’m sure there’s no problem.

Good luck with your modeling!

If you have a number of doubled vertices in your mesh, hitting A to select all and then W > Remove Doubles (in Edit mode) will do the trick faster than deleting them one by one manually. And BTW, the singular of vertices is vertex, not vertice.