Steampunk Elf - 2D Painted Onto 3D Render

I’m trying to develop a workflow for my digital comic where I start with a rough 3D Blender render and then paint over it in 2D using Gimp. I’m not quite there yet but here’s an example (any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated):

I just found the original 3D render. This is what the image looked like before I opened up Gimp on it.

oh wow! thats a great idea!!

Heheh - thanks Surgy, although it’s not an original idea by me, some of the pro’s use 3D as a quick way of laying out a scene to begin with.

Yeah, I´ve been contemplating the same technique, but decided to go full 3d instead :slight_smile: I´ve seen it put to good use by some manga artists. Works nicely for you.

That’s cool! :yes:

@BrilliantApe: Thanks dude! Yeah full 3D is more work up front but then you’ve got a full model that you can take a snapshot of from any angle or turn into a movie! I guess at the moment I feel like I can be more expressive in 2D so I’m gonna focus on that for a while.

@Ambro: Thank you - this one is quite an old one - I was just playing about with workflow ideas.