AAAAaaaarg Steampunk!

Everything CG is steampunk and it’s driving me crazy! :spin: It has eclipsed even the super wu man craze, which of course was way cooler than steampunk. There are so many stylistic genres out there. I don’t get why everyone focuses on one.

It’s due to the art competition being run by Blender Guru (the site owned by Andrew Price). They happen to be popular enough to be able to dictate a ‘flavor of the month’ in terms of subject and theme.

They used to be announced in the competition section of this forum, but I wonder what happened.

Exactly, the competition is what did it

Personally, I’m enjoying the pause in all of the low-poly stuff. I’ll take intricately detailed clockwork over the same low-poly floating island landscapes over and over.

LOL
I stand with you.
How true…
Steam punk is something like glossy materials around. Bronze shinning.
And, that’s all.
Any emotional or fictional is for the birds. Basically is “whatever you like to model”
However, we have a modern version, a new wave.
It is called “hard surf modeling” and the most common subject is mechs.
How boring and how predictable, please tell me.
From another point of view, any artist might become predictable and boring…

The low-poly stuff seems to be a fad right now, everyone wants to make his own version of the style. To my knowledge, this is the kind of thing that ebbs and flows in art, it will eventually be replaced by a new ‘it’ style.

One thing that doesn’t seem to be a fad though, the fact that 90 percent of all dyntopo modeling is untextured human heads (been that way since it was first committed in master). It can get repetitive after seeing them as the main feature in a few dozen sketchbook threads.

I suppose you are right about that, but heads have always been common, even before sculpting. Heads and mastering of facial expression are a fundamental at any level.
(edit) and at least I traded the default gray plastic material for a matcap.
:RocknRoll:

I don’t know why this was moved to off topic since it is a CG topic, and could well have been called ‘Stylistic Trends in CG’. This seems fairly clear. Whoever moved it, I would appreciate it if you would move it back to it’s original sub-forum. I do not post often in those subforums, but it is not the first time some mod came along and moved my thread.
(edit) and btw, I have been here since well before blender even had ray tracing, and people were still using game blender for most things. I don’t feel I really need to be baby sat, thanks.

To be honest I’m also confused to why this thread was moved. To arty for the forum maybe. Hell, it could have even been called: ‘Stylistic trends in art’. Where it might have spun off into space and a black hole. Or, he could have tried to slip it in as yet another mindless bench mark for Cycles. And, then it would have had 879 hits in two days. Damn, is not the site blenderartist.org.

Personally I like most of the genres with the exception of the Lego art. That one escapes me to be frank. Regardless, the man brought up a discussion relating to art or CG art if you must. And, who knows maybe one of these artist will push the envelope a bit and there will be something else to like or dislike.

Not only that but his join date is 2003. That is before ‘Redo’ was a option. Hell, that is before entrepreneurs showed up on the scene. I would like to direct his attention to entries done for BGs contest by minoribus, Photox, and Speed7 which he can find in the ‘Finished Works’ section. Anyway, what is wrong with a spirited discussion on art as we perceive it.

To be honest I’m also confused to why this thread was moved. To arty for the forum maybe. Hell, it could have even been called: ‘Stylistic trends in art’. Where it might have spun off into space and a black hole. Or, he could have tried to slip it in as yet another mindless bench mark for Cycles. And, then it would have had 879 hits in two days. Damn, is not the site blenderartist.org.

Ditto, Move dis back.

Oh, I think that “steampunk” is great visual fun, because there’s so much detail that you can put into it, and so many ways to do it. The more absurd you are, the better it plays.

The mega-band Rush did an entire album (and an accompanying book) that was basically “steampunk,” right down to all sorts of strange mechanical devices puffing-away on stage.

Just have fun with it. Roll with it. Just “check your mind at the door, and start stokin’ the boiler …” :slight_smile:

Probably because you called it ‘AAAAaaarg Steampunk!’ instead of ‘Stylistic Trends in CG’. A post complaining about other people’s stylistic choices is different from a post discussing the movement of trends in the field.

To be fair I also referenced the super wu man era. :yes:

Is he still a Blender user even, he hasn’t been seen around here for more than several years now?

There were also a few other crazes of varying popularity over the years such as cubism, though I don’t recall the art scene here seeing long periods where these things defined it.

Was Super Wu Man the guy with big buck teeth who made the animations of the Orange crew? That was more a cult of personality than a stylistic trend. :slight_smile:

OT: I’ll take steampunk over Minecraft models any day.

That fad has mainly been in animations, not still images, but I do agree it kind of have gotten to crazy levels at its peak as it seemed every other animation was Minecraft scenes.

Though I can see why it became popular, scenes were able to render in even mid-range Nvidia GPU’s, the models were easy to animate, and rendertimes were quick (since you would’ve just used basic lighting and AO).

yeah, I should have entitled this thread: AAAAAaaaarg!! Minecraft!

I don’t think that’s needed, some have suddenly decided that it’s now cool to hate Minecraft just because it’s no longer an Indie IP (it was sold to Microsoft which now has made a Hololens application to allow its worlds to virtually appear in your home).

I don’t hate minecraft, in fact I have never played it. Some people I know really seem to like it…maybe even are obsessed with it a little.