The Automaton

This was my entry for the BlenderGuru Steampunk competition. I didn’t win, but it was a fun project nevertheless. Everything was created using Blender and Photoshop. Textures are from CG Textures and Pixabay.

Renderer: Cycles
Rendertime: 8 hours
Project time: approx one week
Tools: Blender, Photoshop.

Here’s a clay render of the foreground.

Thanks for viewing!

really good , if i may have some critic it would be cool if the robot would have some kind of emotions and not be that stiff

but great pic cheers

I love the composition with the smoke and dust! The way everything is laid out on the table are also really nice details! I think adding rust or grime over the metals would give the automaton more ‘life’ (if you know what I mean).

Very fine work. Great entry!

Was this inspired by the movie Hugo by any chance (since the movie more or less revolved around something like that)?

It has a bit of burnout in some spots, but the dust gives a pretty nice effect.

Thanks! I was trying to think of some emotion to add to the render that wouldn’t look creepy or weird. I never figured out anything good. But it certainly would have added to the render. Thanks again!

Thank you! Some rust defiantly would of been a good addition. I should have thought of that!

Thank you. :slight_smile:

Yep! I was heavily inspired by the movie. The model isn’t very accurate according, but it is based on the one from Hugo.

I tried to minimize the Burnout, but when in Post it became stronger. I like a little burnout to add realism, just not this much. :wink: