Earrings, Chain... DYNAMIC Simulation for a Character ?

Hey All,

I’m working on a simple character, but before I continue working I would like to do some “simple” experiments (if possible) with something I have no clue about.

Earring Simulation:
I realize that I would like to do some earrings that will move while the character is moving (simulation) not manually animated.
Foe example:
a “donate / ring shape” earring moving while the head/ear is animated.
Do I actually need to make a hole for the earring or I can just put it overlap the ear?

Chain Simulation:
Same go for a chain for the neck (but what if it’s a cartoon character) means no shoulders or a neck for the chain to “sit over” the head and the body are the same part so how the, imagine a potato or an egg shape… how can I put a Chain on this kind of character so it won’t fall…
Do I need to “glue” part of it to the character somehow?

Again, I have no idea how to even start I’m looking for video tutorials so I can get the basic idea and do some “tests” even on a simple sphere.

Any help or directions to a good video tutorials to understand how I solve these problems I’ve mentioned above will be very helpful.

Sorry about my bad English, and Thanks ahead! :slight_smile:

You could just use simple rigid body simulations for both.
For the necklace, just don’t add any physics to some of the individual objects (assuming the necklace is not just one mesh, but an actual chain), for example, to the neck and shoulders. They won’t move and keep the rest from falling
If the chain is one mesh, you can use a softbody simulation and use a vertex group to pin some of the vertices.

Thanks for the tips Mourlie! :slight_smile:

Sounds cool, I think that that “pinning” will be the solution for the necklace., sounds lots of fun) so I’m looking for an easy-to-follow video tutorials to understand how it works.

This is a quick and fun tutorial from BG about a swinging chain that may give you some ideas.

Thanks Tim!
I’ll check it out :smiley:

I know i am a lot of years late but i need someone to elaborate on using rigid body simulations for earrings? I haven’t found a good enough tutorial on it and i need help while still learning Blender for making a short film

It’s going hard to beat the chain-link sim linked above by Photox. Bunch of good cheats to help speed up the rigid body chain sim in that video. I haven’t watched it in a while, but a lot of what’s covered should still be relevant even in the latest Blender versions.

Only slightly inspired by Miley Cyrus

I am trying to get the bottom half of the earring to move. I tried tutorial but my earring floated away from my character’s ear, and i have Blender 3.0 i don’t know where some of the buttons are located since this video is of a outdated Blender i would need some help

I was partway through trying to make a quick demo earring sim when my copy of Blender crashed… meh, I’m using an experimental build, it happens

Anyway, a couple important things to note:

1. Physics (and rigid body sim) settings live here on the side panel:
  2. Your earring will need to be in two parts because they need different physics settings. One set for the bits that won’t be simulated and another for the bits that will
  3. the pin in the ear will need to be:
    a. rigged to the armature so it can be animated with the head
    b. set to “passive” - i.e an immovable object (as far as the sim is concerned)
    c. you maaaay need to tick “animated” so that the pin moves properly with the rig
    d. You might have to try a couple different “collision shapes” - not sure which would work best (I tried with “mesh” and it seemed to work ok, but that might be slow with high-poly models YMMV)
    e. probably have to reduce the “collision margin” - the default is 4cm… bit big for an earring

As for the earring itself, similar deal, except that you need to set it to “active” (i.e. controlled by sim) and untick “animated” (i.e. controlled by keyframes) so that the rigid body sim can actually affect it

That’s about all I did to get these two toruses (tori? toroids? taurus…) working as shown below
ezgif-4-7a2247284c

Oh, you might want to set the body of the character to also be “rigid body”, “animated” and “passive” otherwise the earrings might pass through the side of their head from time to time…

P.S. when I had the “collision shape” set to “convex hull” - the default - the bottom ring fell off into the abyss as well so that might be why your earrings go off into space, that or it might be something with the collision margins ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯ (my experience with the rigid body sim can be measured in minutes)

1 Like

Thank you and i am just now seeing this OMG!

I’d advise an armature with the WiggleBones addon. This method would give you control over the pivot points in segmented earrings, and some feedback in the earlobe.