Galaxy Simulation

This is a small galaxy (star cluster) simulation. I don’t think this can be done using particle systems, and I had to write about 200 lines of python to get it working. This is probably my favorite early test. Two star clusters contract to their local centers and then collide in a swirling chaotic dance. I plan on working a lot more on materials and the scene, but it is all real physics. Every frame each star has force vectors calculated for every other star in the system.

Galaxy Render #297
[video]https://youtu.be/8lR1ICeE07s[/video]

I believe it is possible to get these types of particle physics in blender, using self effecting forcefields in the particle system.

I’m not sure if that would cover all the effects you are simulating, just throwing it out there.

I doubt it. Blender’s concept of gravity is small scale earth gravity. Maybe you could get some kind of ping pong balls bouncing off each other effect, but there are stars on the perimeter orbiting each other. I mean take a crack at it, 2 particles 100 frames. If you can get some kind of binary star system working, up those numbers to 1000 stars for 800 frames.

Very nice :smiley: noisy background

I am working on a similar project (please take a peek into my thread)
Maybe you have enough understanding of physics to help me with my orbit prediction problem

an idea: let particles collide to form solid planets

good luck :slight_smile:

Thanks. I do have a version where collisions result it a single larger body. Do you have a link to your project?

Cool! So this is an n-body simulation? I assume you haven’t added any calculation optimizations (like Barnes-Hut)? I’d love to see your script.