[IDEA] Merge Blender title bar like in Adobe CC etc

Hi all,

All I wanted to ask is: is there any option to change Blender title bar? Overall - it’s interface changed for good very much, and telling that I’m still very surprised there is still this ol’school title bar (especially on Win8 where there is no blur, just annoying green, red or any other, intense color depending on your theme), which is kinda annoying.

I know there is an option to go fullscreen, but it would be really comfortable to merge min, max, close buttons into the program ui and just hide that annoying title bar, while the taskbar still present, to be able to move behind other applications while working - similar to options which e.g. Adobe chose for all their apps (like here: https://goo.gl/Kmxv03). Not to mention about getting bonus row of free pixels on the screen to work with…

What do you guys think?
Cheers!

Go borderless. Life is better that way. :stuck_out_tongue:

Umm… maybe, but I’m not any advanced Windows user, i prefer the default way, and not to mess with any registry vaules etc. Thanks for advice.

Umm… maybe, but I’m not any advanced Windows user, i prefer the default way, and not to mess with any registry vaules etc. Thanks for advice.

I think that was more meant as a pun than a real advice :wink:

Overall I like the idea of having a Blener titlebar with the close/maximize/minimize buttons on it, but you shouldn’t forget that Blender still is a muli-platform application. This can be an issue, because disabling the window decoration is something that has to be done in the communication layer between Blender and the operating system, meaning it has to be supported by the OS and the above mentioned communication layer (in our case this is GHOST).

In fact I’ve once tried to do this and even got it working on Linux, but I’m not sure if our Windows and MacOS implementations of GHOST allow this.

It was real advice. It’s also a lot easier to do in Linux window managers.

yes, but have it optional like chrome

I unterstand your point, but as I knowmit is not any issue, as all applications have different structure depending on the OS. What’s more every multiplatform software is privided with exact different installer for every system. It won’t be any issue to implement such feature.

The title bar is currently showing the direction where the file is and how it is called- a neat and useful feature.

It would be of course wise and neat to add the version number of Blender and the used memory to the title bar instead of the info bar.

Actually not, it doesn’t, and second - not everyone find this information useful, third - it can still be drawed around the top panel near close and minimize buttons… There’s always a workaround. :wink:

• Installers have nothing to do with the program. Installers are different programs altogether.
  • Not all programs have different structures depending on OS. Blender is a good example. With rare exceptions, the only OS-specific part of Blender is the aforementioned GHOST layer. Everything else is essentially the same regardless of platform. It may be possible to add such features to GHOST, but it might not be easy.
  • Unless you already have the code written to do so, I’d be wary of proclaiming that something “won’t be any issue to implement.” Otherwise, it sounds an awful lot like you don’t know what you’re talking about. Of course, if you do have said code, feel free to submit a patch.

The suggestion from Fweeb is good: “Go borderless.”. It’s also very easy: start Blender with command line option:

blender --window-borderless
or shorter:
blender -W

Of course now you need to know how to get to command line and how to find Blender =) but that’s not a Blender issue anymore, just general computer using.

Alt-F11 maybe

The concept of Blender UI is that its separated in “Areas” where each Area displays a different type of “Editor Type”. In this case the Information Window is considered the “Main Menu”. This design of Blender is very flexible by nature so it would be somehow inefficient to start providing limitations (i.e. locking an area so it can’t be changed), it’s like having a sabotage to the initial design.

I don’t know, just saying…

This is the easiest way to force Blender into full screen mode in w=Windows. Alt-F11 to get back out as well.