Tactical Watch

Hello all! So, over the past 2-3 days while I have been waiting for my BlenderGuru competition entry to finish rendering, I have been working on a tactical watch. I think it turned out pretty well, but I would like a few more sets of eyes to run over it and detect major issues, especially as it is the first watch I have made. Any ideas for a setting to put this puppy in would be welcome as well.

All materials are 100% procedural, including the Carbon Fiber watch face. No images were used in the scene.

AO render pass:

This is fricking awesome :smiley:
Really love the lighting. You could maybe place it in a store for spy devices…
Maybe make the knobs a little less pointy. It looks like it would hurt when turning :slight_smile:

Thank you! I was trying to make it easy to grip, but I can see how that could be an issue. Easy fix :slight_smile:

The fact that this is all procedural made my jaw drop, no crits from me.

Thank you! The new Cycles Pointiness attribute really makes realism much easier.

Here is my basic Carbon Fiber node setup. This basically makes a glossy material with the appropriate texture, from which I can build.

Looking really good mate. The only thing i can suggest is maybe another level of subdivision in certain areas, i can see some corners on places that are supposed to be round.

You are really skilled when it comes to procedural materials, and i envy that fact. I still have a long ways to go when it comes to fully procedural materials, I usually lose my bottle and end up throwing an image in there when i run out of ideas :o

How did you do the text on the watch face btw? is it done by vertex painting? or blenders text feature?

Thank you! The subdivision is a very good point, especially on the main case. As far as text, I made a simple emission/translucent material and used Blender’s text object functionality.

I can not stress enough how critical proper lighting is though! I took the time to look up some professional shots of watches and some setups, and it really helped take this another notch up.

BTW, here is the AO render pass in case that might interest any of you:

The lighting, is quite literally amazing! The red/blue combo works well to accentuate the lines of this time piece :slight_smile: Maybe it might just be the lighting, but it seems that the glass/plastic top to the watch seems to be only transparent. I think it would look slightly better if there was a reflection/shine to the top.

I didn’t want to disrupt the line of sight with the watch face, so I did mix a transparent node in the material. Probably should have toned it back a bit.

I can barely believe that that is all procedural, I couldn’t even create a half decent material with actual image textures :o
My opinion is that some areas on the watch face, knobs, and band are slightly too sharp. Maybe do an oh-so-subtle rounding on everything using the bevel modifier.

WOW! O.o I must try to redo that node setup… :stuck_out_tongue:

How do you get that extra point like where the value node is?

I think you’re talking about reroutes? Shift click on the strand, or add a reroute node from the layout section in the add menu.

Yeah! Thanks! I’ve done it before but not in like a year, so I forgot :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow! Just made that node setup… Sooooo amazing! :smiley:

Oops, double post

Glad to find you like it :smiley:

as per the rest of the thread no crits from me, looks really good.

shaun