Christina's Sketchbook

Learning, experimenting, exploring. My main interest is composition, so most complex models (architecture, etc.) are acquired assets both free and purchased. I generally use World Machine or Gaea for terrains. Most of my plants are from XFrog. Currently (2022) for scene setup and rendering I am using only Blender Cycles. Occasional post production in Krita.

Some old posts that didn’t add much to the thread have been deleted. The image in this first post is updated to reflect recent work.

7 Likes

Also a bridge, somewhere in China. Sorry, the UVs are a bit wonky.

Attachments

8 Likes

Sculpting rocks

Attachments

5 Likes

some cool stuff in here. the door is not real convincing, but the other ones are really cool.

Thanks :slight_smile: I’m not really pushing these to final, just exploring concepts and materials.

Cave, inhabited by Neanderthals for 20,000 years.

Attachments

1 Like

Continuing environment studies

Attachments

3 Likes

I love the last one, how did you do the plants and vegetations?

The vegetation was created in Vue, which specializes in environments. Slab of rock modelled in Blender and sculpted with fine detail, then exported to Vue for environment and rendering. Vue has minimal modelling capability.

Rough concept for a city garden. Urn was created in Photoscan from photos. It needs to be cleaned up, or retopoed more likely.

Attachments

Nice work, crazychristina! Masking will help clean up blobby edges like that, but if you’re like me and hate masking, you can also just shoot extra pictures so PhotoScan understands the shape of the object better. In this case, I suppose it would be shooting from the top looking down into the urn. But of course retopo is also a totally suitable method, especially if it’s a step you have to do, anyway.

1 Like

That urn was as high as me so I couldn’t get a decent shot from top down. However I guess the inside of the bowl is pretty straightforward, and I don’t necessarily need to model it anyway if it’s not in the final image of any scene I render.

There’s a great Matte Painting Tutorial at The Gnomon Workshop by Garret Fry, that uses Photoscan for some initial content. Mostly for Mari unfortunately, but the Sample Clip is worth a look.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/1068/Advanced-3D-Matte-Painting-Techniques#.VZT5AvmqpBc

Modelled the urn and pedestal, using the Photoscan object as a 3D reference. Dupliverts came in handy for those floral ornaments around the urn.

Attachments

This Moreton Bay Fig grows not too far from my house.

Attachments

1 Like

Nice tree, can I ask are you focusing on the material setup or modelling or both?

More Photoscan.

Attachments

Looks like you’re having fun with photoscan christina. Picture is a too dark though to make out any details :wink:

Depends on the monitor - it’s too dark on one of mine but OK on the other. I haven’t calibrated them lately though, so not sure which one is closer to ‘correct’. But yeah, nighttime shot. Always tricky.

I’ve got my monitor on full brightness and all I can make out is the sky in the top right hand corner. Can you adjust the intensity of the sky or add a few more light sources and re-render please.

There you go

Attachments

1 Like