Dungeon Movie

I started self-studying character animation workflow in Blender about a month ago (though I’m not new to Blender), and made this so called short film in the process:

Watch online: https://vimeo.com/129708917
Download version for higher quality (~11MB): http://ww.mediafire.com/download/47xzgjee6wvjyzf

Since I wanted to concentrate on animation, I skipped modeling stage by using a character extracted from Tera Online (had to edit it a bit though). I also tested different render engines: Cycles (0-29 sec), Mitsuba (29-36 sec) and LuxRender (36-39 sec). All sound effects were found on Youtube.
Please don’t hesitate to ask questions / c&c!

That’s a great start! I’m definitely interested in seeing how this comes out. Excellent suspenseful editing.

Some critiques: the foley for the heels is a bit too loud in the opening seconds. It really overpowers the background music. The girl’s walk cycle should have a bit more hip rotation than none, which is what it looks like now. Even if that skirt she’s wearing is made of iron, it should swivel a little bit when she walks. Finally, the cat ear motions are subtle and cute, but I think you could use more of them, and not so subtle. If she is a cat girl, her hearing would be working overtime in a dark place like that.

I’m looking forward to seeing more of this. Are you planning on continuing?

I agree. The sound effects should never overpower the background music.

Thank you, Orinoco, glad you liked it and I’m definitely using the tips you gave me from now on. I always tend to miss important stuff when working on a project a bit too much, and some of the things you mentioned I wouldn’t be able to notice anyway.
For now I’m not sure if I want to work on this particular movie any more. I have two more episodes in mind, but will decide what I want to work on next in about a week - now that I’m finally able to make things work more or less as I want them, I need to sort out all my ideas that are bothering me :slight_smile:

Well, whichever wolf wins the battle, I’ll be looking forward to your next work. You have a good eye for editing and lighting.

Regarding missing stuff… that’s what work in progress is for. :smiley:

A small render I made for fun when some people asked me why the heroine needs two sets of ears :slight_smile: