BGMC 16| Shadow in The Street (On the Roof)

Here it is! Shadow in the street finally done, finished, and ready to play :). A few thing I better tell you guys ahead of time is that you may have some problems playing the game and even opening the file, if you using an old computer. And you may experience some camera lag. I have no idea what is causing this so just try to ignore it. K?

Also, due to some people who tested saying the camera was to shaky and making them dizzy, i added some keys to toggle motion effects. Just press C to disable motion effects, and X to turn them back on.

The controls are listed in the game, but not the credits so here:

Thanks to Daniel74 for all the great buildings. You can find him here: http://www.blendswap.com/user/Daniel74

Also thank you to Danimal for the enemy model! You can out his stuff here: http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/76788

And thanks to brnick for the button click sound: http://www.freesound.org/people/brnck/sounds/257357/

And I got the song in the main menu from an app called Splice: https://itunes.apple.com/app/splice-video-editor-
free/id409838725?mt=8&ls=1

The sword model cam from Clarabox here: http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/44506

And now, the link you have all been waiting for!

Attachments

Heres an updated version of the game. I found a few bugs and such while playing through it a couple times. One bug however that i was not able to squash was falling through the map at times :P. if this happens to you while playing, simply hit the F key. That will bring up the in-game menu, and then you can hit Respawn. Then you will just go back to the map start!

Oh and I almost forgot. I found the map texture on Flicker here by Ava Vernio: https://www.flickr.com/photos/avaverino/4645077417

Most poorly optimized game I’ve ever come across. 3 minutes to load, and ran at 3Fps, tried turning it off but my laptop froze indefinitely and I was forced to remove my laptop battery.

Would need a super computer to run this thing at a stable framerate

For me it runs at 25 FPS except some places where ti drops below 15 FPS. BTW, I can’t find the rings. The menu design is good, though!

Yes, it is a large file and it was made on a nearly brand new computer, so yes it probably won’t run that well on your laptop witch i assume is not new (within the last few years). I am going to post some videos for those of you guys who can’t run it on your operating systems, K?

Well 25 fps is not too bad. But its still playable right? And the rings are in a small room inside the walls. Did you get the sword yet?

Pretty old laptop, must have been 5 years I’ve had.
Despite being unplayable, it’s a great looking game… not that it matters though. Can’t run it

Next time you ought to make your own models, assets off of blendswap always tend to cause lag (at least for me)

Nope, even not half as far:D I don’t know where to look, run around the city, clime few ladders. I am not sure if I checked all, but at least most of it!

I just played your game. I have a fast computer, but it still lags. You really need to optimize it better! Example: The hole town is in the same mesh, which makes it impossible to render only parts of it.
And, instead of having the hole town as an phylical object, turn it to “no colision”. Then build a low poly mesh of the town and use that instead.

I really liked the houses and the characters design in the game, but the game is to grey and missing contrast.

I dont know if it was anything wrong with the file, but I did not get any sounds, except for in the menu. I was really missing the sound :frowning:

The number of the rings was a big confusion. There is 5 rings that you are supposed to find, and they are al at the same place. It would be more fun to search for 5 rings on 5 places (In the town). Just to get people rewarded more often, so they will want to keep playing. And also, the rings are really big!

On level 2 I could not get the sword. (I cheated so I knew where it was). It was a guard at the top of the stairs that always saw me. And also, the stair was so hard to climb!

The character was also very bad at jumping.

But it shows that you have had put lot of time on it, and thats great! :slight_smile:

Nice. Although movement feels too slow, head shaking is very strong and FOV seems to be unnaturaly low.

Just press C to disable the camera shaking, and X to re-enable it.

Thak so much much for all the good input! I had no idea that you could optimize a game by keeping the level in different meshes, or that you could make a low poly collision mesh :slight_smile: next time I will define tally try these. Sorry that the number of rings was confusing. That was the first thing I could think of at the time :P.

Amd mid to get the sword in the second level you need to jump up a staircase on the side of the clif. Then you need to jump off, past the guard at the top of the tower.

The artwork was nice, but it it could be optimized better. I have a new decent laptop (not the best, but really really good) and the FPS dropped to 16 when I spun the camera around. Other than that it ran at 60. Was able to find the gold in level 1. But when I tried to go to level 2 the FPS dropped to an unplayable rate. Not sure why. laptop was running hot, so I let it cool down. I didn’t look at the blend, but I will later, maybe I can optimise it a little better. Breaking the town up into smaller sections will help.
Climbing the ladder was a bit weird, I shot up the ladder like a rocket, maybe i was doing it wrong.
Other than, I loved it. especially exploring the village. Nice animations, better than I could do. :slight_smile:

EDIT:
I removed the doubles on the village in edit mode, and it removed something like 13,900 vertices.
Maybe that will help some of you.
It really is a beautiful layout. The buildings were made so you could go inside, but you would have to redo the mesh. When you remove the door there is a wall.
I’m separating the buildings to see if that will help.
There are a lot of double textures also.
I’m determined to get this working smoothly.

Yes I am geting a lot of people saying it could run better:P. I’m more used to using unreal 4 where you don’t really need to worry about how much stuff you put in a level. Also I had no idea that there where so manny doubled vertices!

And it really seems strange that the second level would not run well. It actually has a lot less houses and overall verts.

Bur thanks so much for giving me this information :slight_smile:

Yeah actually there were 490000 (approx)extra vertices on the 2nd level. And 139000 (approx) on level one.
Having had a week PC for years, I learned what helps make a game smooth.
Use Alt-D to copy. A lot of the buildings were the same. so each different one could have been stored on an inactive layer. Then spawned onto the main layer with an empty. I think this would have cut down on the number of textures also.

A LOD system would haved helped also. Even a simple one with a plane dividing the east from the west. So when the player collided with the trigger. the buildings in the east ended when the player was in the west, and spawned when the player was in the east. and visa versa.
The Defender dude is awesome, but really drops the framerate. (run animation especially) He also should have been on an inactive layer and spawned when the player collides with a trigger. Then you would only need one defender.

Still a beautiful game. I really like it.

Would you mind if I modified it? I wouldn’t sell it or post it, it’s just for my grandson and I to play.

It still makes me wonder how come there are so many duplicated verts. Guess I should have checked ahead if time :P. and also I want to thank you again for not just telling me what was wrong with the game, but how to improve it :).

And finally, yes. You may absolutely modify the game :).

I’m fairly certain that I won’t be able to play the game meaningfully on this machine, so I just have to base it on the video posted. It was ambitious making a whole town in addition to the core mechanics but it really paid off. There’s a nice feeling of gloom to it as well, and the menu helps to tie it all up nicely. Good job!

Thanks. Yeah, I guess I knew I was taking a pretty big risk, but whatever. If I lose then what the heck, I will just say nice job to the guy who won and keep practicing :).

I don’t know why but it’s the hands showing up on the screen is what make me dizzy. It’s a nice affect especially when you turn around to see if a guard is still chasing you. Though maybe a map of the place would be nice, something that you can quickly glance at without problem and all it would take is a open gl render from the top view of the cities. Nice game over all.

Yep. The hands can definitely cause dizziness. So what i did to prevent some players from experiencing this is i added functionality for the C and X keys. these two keys toggle the camera-shake and the hands :slight_smile: