BGMC 16: Crazybombninja

You are a crazy bomb throwing ninja. You found a hidden ruin in the jungle, but some bad guys got there first.
Get in there and NINJA THAT LOOT! Grab all the gold you can.

Press Space to drop a bomb (if you found one) you can set the movement method from the title screen.
WASD, arrow keys or NUMPAD currently supported.

EDIT:
The version I uploaded yesterday was a little bit limited, but I’m uploading a final Version now with all bugs fixed and a level progression mechanic. You can now progress to the next level when you’ve picked up all the gold.

New stuff in the final version!

• Four different tilesets.
  • 20 different levels, each randomly laid out, but with set enemies and powerups.
  • 5 different bad guys, including a rival bombing ninja!
  • 2 different powerups, super speed and invincibility.
  • Infinite levels. If you get past level 20, the game picks old levels at random to replay.
  • Press “p” to pause the game.
  • Bombs are carried over to the next level if not used.
  • Fixed some bugs! Should never generate an un-winnable level any more…

Here’s a video Demo:

and you can get the final version here:
CRAZYBOMBNINJAFINAL!!!

Good luck to everyone else in BGMC 16!!!

BTW: The game is made for Blender 2.74 but might work on older versions…
If you have any problems with slow gameplay or other things please post a screenshot of the error console so I can find out what is causing the problems.

Cool! Got a playthrough recorded? Might be a good thing to have in the post.

I download it and play! good job

I played it and got 4700 before there was nothing else to do on the small one, and then played the big one (it worked fine) and got 7950 points. It was a really fun game to play. But are the enemies not supposed to go through dead enemies when they are tracking you. Also I got to the point where there was nothing to do, am I mistaken or is that what happens.

Thanks for testing it! Yes, the dead enemies are out of the game, you can walk through them and so can other bad guys.
The version I uploaded yesterday was a little bit limited, but I’m uploading a final Version now with all bugs fixed and a level progression mechanic. You can now progress to the next level when you’ve picked up all the gold.

New stuff in the final version!

• Four different tilesets.
  • 20 different levels, each randomly laid out, but with set enemies and powerups.
  • 5 different bad guys, including a rival bombing ninja!
  • 2 different powerups, super speed and invincibility.
  • Infinite levels. If you get past level 20, the game picks old levels at random to replay.
  • Choice of WASD, arrow keys or numpad control from the main menu.
  • Bombs are carried over to the next level if not used.
  • Fixed some bugs! Should never generate an un-winnable level any more… :smiley:

See the first post for a new download link and a video playthrough!!! :slight_smile:

EDIT:
Oh, I nearly forgot, you can pause the game at any time by pressing “p”. useful if you need a toilet break. :slight_smile:

Tested it, works well in 2.74. With a menu, some background sound, a little touch here and there (jump over enemies, smoke bombs… ninja stuff) and the right price, I can see this for sale on steam. Nice job.

Thanks, I’m really happy with how it turned out. I wanted to do smoke bombs… maybe thats something to add to the game if I decide to take it to the next level. I’ve also had plans since the beginning for destroyable boxes (you can see them in game though they cant be destroyed).
Also more enemies… I considered a flying enemy as well as an almost invisible one that can stun you but can’t kill.

Also some different kinds of blocks such as pits which block movement but not sight or plants which block sight but not movement.

EDIT:
I’m doing some more work on it, but I won’t upload another version until after the competition is finished. I got smoke bombs to work and they are really helpful as a quick way of getting out of danger. In a puff of smoke they warp you to a safe place in the level far away from any enemies. Maybe 5% of bombs will now be smoke bombs, giving you a last chance of escape if you get blocked in. Now I just need another enemy to take advantage of the additional game mechanic. A warping bad guy could be fun. :slight_smile:

I think this was the first entry in and it really set the bar up there, even before the update with the levels and tilesets! I love the status marks above the enemies, that really pushed it up for me, as well as the textures and the main character’s look and animation. And the gameplay itself feels good. Very solid!

Wow just Wow One of the best games i have seen in the bge for a long time

X2 :slight_smile:

Really love this game. No complaints.

Level 12
Score: 20,900

I rather enjoyed it, but found the act of placing bombs and waiting for them to blow very tedious - ESPECIALLY when it would miss.
Felt it easier to run past everyone.

Other than that though, it was flawless!
Had sound effects, which are always pleasant, neat little ninja models and animations, and a simple goal.

One last complaint; I found myself running into walls time and time again, was tough to see where some of the paths ended, and where some parts were risen. I mean, look at how perplexing this is!:

With the bombs the idea is to lure an enemy in to chasing you then drop a bomb. If you move aside at the last moment they should run right to their doom. If you drop a bunch of bombs you have more chance of success but more chance of killing yourself. I spent hours playing bomberman as a kid with my brother and best friends, we developed loads of dubious tactics. :stuck_out_tongue:

There is one thing I can do to improve the tilesets, by adding a gradient texture I could make them lighter above ground… but I didn’t think of that in time. ^^

Anyway, thanks for playing and thanks for the feedback, it’ll be helpful in future.

Hi. I played your game 3 more times. It could be a best seller :slight_smile: I was level 11 the last time I lose but I had not the time to look at my score and I did not found if a screenshot was made or a file was saved on the computer. Congrats. I think it’s the best game I ever played in Blender (made in 1 week… It’s very impressive).

Thanks! Whether I win the competition or not, I’m happy that I made a great game. :slight_smile:
I’m working on developing it more now with more levels better graphics and additional gameplay types.

Hi all! I worked some more on the game and you can get an upgraded version here:

CRAZYBOMBNINJAREBOOT

There’s a few things in the new release that were requested in feedback, like you can drop bombs while running now, and you can get smoke bombs which teleport you out of danger.

Here’s a video:

I also fixed a bug which probably no one noticed, when getting to level 20, only part of the map was drawn, since the maps size was bigger than the maximum draw size! :slight_smile: Anyway, fixed now. This is the final version, unless anyone finds any more bugs.

If you like the music, you can find the tool I used here:
Autotracker

And some instructions here:
Instructions

If you didn’t like the music, you can switch it off at any time by pressing the “m” key. :stuck_out_tongue:

For anyone who wants a windows executable, I uploaded on here.

I just get a black screen I am running win 7

digiman

Hi, did you try the blend? If so how about deleting the 2d filter actuator? It’s on the main empty in “Scene”.
The game uses a simple 2d shader to fade in and out at the start and end of levels.

Otherwise you could try it in Multitexture mode…

0_0 whoa… This looks great! Plays great as well. Love the game!