Definitive answer on exporting a mesh animated by an armature as an OBJ?

Hey guys,

I apologize in advance for asking if this has been covered, but I’ve been doing some pretty exhaustive searching and haven’t happened upon anything recent.

I’d like to be able to export a rigged mesh as an OBJ sequence, and somehow apply the animation the armature is enabling so only the mesh is being exported. Basically, I’d like to be able to delete the mesh’s Armature Modifier and still have the mesh animate as if it were there, so I can export only the mesh’s movement information.

Please let me know if I can clarify, I realize this might be a bit confusing.

I’m afraid you’ll have to code your own OBJ exporter for that. You could use the one in Blender as inspiration/reference.

A.
What is the target application?

B.
Does it have to be an OBJ sequence? Depending on the answer to A. exporting to OBJ + MDD might do the trick… MDD is kind of a combined keyframe file for every vertex of the mesh. Mesh + MDD should exactly replicate any movement without further need of the armature. The target application must be able to import MDD, of course.

Hey Ikari,

The target app’s Cinema 4D R14. I use a plug-in called OBJSequenceImporter to uh, import the sequences.

Thanks for the help, by the way. :slight_smile: