GLaDOS

I wish I had some really clever reference to start this off, but I don’t. I probably should have made a wheatly version, then I could say something like “That was the sound of books. I’m just reading books. So I’m not a moron” :slight_smile: Sorry I had to. It was the best line I could quickly come up with.

So, I’m currently just blocking out the general shapes and I want some critiques before I move on.

(click on the image for a larger version)

I look forward to any comments. Thank You!

I was just looking at the image that I posted and realised that it didn’t really show what is needed to show the propotions. So I quickly made two more.

Hopefully those represent it a bit better.

I forgot to mention in the first post, that I’m specifically looking for comments regarding the proportions. That’s what I want to make sure I have down well before I continue with detailing.

Okay, I think you guys deserve to see some of the updates.

I’ve basically finalized the model, it just needs a few more tweaks. I’ve started mocking up the lighting (I’m thinking a sort of flooding the facility with nerotoxin), I’ll start working on the more once I’m completely done with the model.

Thoughts?

Okay, here’s an update. I’m not entirely sure how much has changed, but I’ll show it anyway.

And I unwrapped the shell part of the head. There’s a bit of stretching, but it should be okay.

Okay, now I’m just going to ask how much interest there is in this project over here. I know I haven’t posted much, but there haven’t been any replies. So, what do you guys think, should I keep this thread updated? I’m thinking about just leaving this one, and continuing it with the thread over here, on the CGC Community.

very impressive modelling! Looks very true to the original. I like this thread, and i think you should update it regardless of comments. People on here may never have played portal, so they wont know what it is lol, maybe post a link to some images from the game to show the actual model.

I really like this though, and i’m looking forward to seeing it textured. And by the looks of you’re thread on CGC, you have almost finished you’re U.V’s :slight_smile: keep posting man! i want to see more

Thanks Jamie B.

I’ll try to keep updating it for a little while. If it stays fairly quiet, I’ll probably stop continuing here, but I’ll give it some time.

Okay, this is the lighting setup I’m planning on building the materials under. Materials and textures will be the next step. Like I said, I’m planning on hand painting textures, so that will be fun, interesting, and terrible, all at the same time. And yeah, my UV’s are done now, except for probably a tiny bit of tweaking.

Make sure you’re environment has good reflections available. Really helps when creating materials for a metallic object like this.

Yes, that’s something that I’m going to make sure to do. I’m looking around for a good hdr to use right now.

there’s some good free ones here - http://www.dutch360hdr.com/shop/
and here - http://adaptivesamples.com/category/hdr-panos/

They aren’t that high res, but they do just fine for material previewing :slight_smile:

I haven’t looked at dutch skies, but I really love the adaptivesamples.com HDR’s. Especially Delta. It’s really amazing for lighting. You just need to drop it in, and rotate it!

This could be real cool! Looks great so far!

Thanks! I should dig this up and see if I can get some materials on it.

I love Portal, I love GLaDOS and I would love to see this finished nicely :wink:

And, as the others pointed out, the model is already looking very accurate!