Mesh looks bad in object and rendered mode =/

So I thought I was done with this model, but when I started with the lightening I spotted this:

It doesn’t look good right? I can actually spot some of the triangles on the mesh that are close to the camera. Why is this? I have tried removing all faces on there and then made them a bit smaller to see if it did anything better, but it didn’t.

(I know of the 2 or 3 ngons in the picture and they are unfortunately not the problem here).

Not sure about, but i think you need add additional loopcuts on edges, to separate your camera and other parts from surface. Like in pic - i select “sharp” edges so you see better what i mean. Before i add loops around, it was mess with shadows on outer part too. Hope that helps

Hi! It eliminated some of the bad surface. Thanks a lot. But as you can see it is still really bad. :frowning:

I think it is because of the uneven shapes of faces around the camera. I could delete it all and try to make as fine small cubes as possible around the area. But then I’m afraid that that side will look different(weird) compared to the other side. I am not really sure what to do.

You have a few Ngons and messy topology.

Post the .blend file so we can help.

As I said: “(I know of the 2 or 3 ngons in the picture and they are unfortunately not the problem here).”
I know it is messy. But how can I fix this?

Edit: I think I actually fixed it. The problem was that the elevation from the surface up to the camera was too steep. So I made 2 loop cuts and and lowered it. It looks a lot better now. This can only be seen when it was set to smooth. The reason for my messy topology at some places is because the goal is to have as few faces as possible on this model and still look really good! I ended up at 1400 faces, not too much I hope.

You can actually make it much lower poly and still have it look good,there are numerous places where you are using too much geometry.

There is a difference between doing something because it looks right and doing something the right way where it won’t cause problems down the line.

Some 3D modeling programs prefer tris (triangular faces) and some have algorithims to smooth out ngons. Blender, however, operates on quad (square) polys, so it has difficulty shading models like yours smoothly. Others above are right - this looks like a model imported from another program that would read as “sloppy” geometry in Blender. The only time you can really get away with tris and ngons in Blender is when the surface is going to be absolutely flat, like an abstract tabletop for instance. Anything with even subtle surface elevation differences, like what you have around the window for the camera, is going to cause shading artifacts. Reinforcing ring loops like what you tried can help, but they won’t eliminate the problem. The only solution is to eliminate the tris and ngons.

How? And where am I using too much? There are many vertices around the camera that need to be connected and that will create many faces. I really don’t understand, sorry. =/

I have seen other models that are only tris and render really nice and smooth. I have tried making my model into only tris and it still looked the same. I dunno why.

Anyway, I have another problem. sigh

See where have I marked with red? That place has unusual shadows and lighting and it is on the same place on every side. It will go away if I remove the faces where the cut line goes. But i don’t wanna do that. Wish I knew why it is only here and how to fix this.

Here is my blend file. Only a small part of the model, but it should be enough. Please help!

justan_s3.blend (968 KB)

You could try something like this with Ngons,just make sure you have support loops and that the ngons are on flat surfaces.

Attachments

Phone.blend (531 KB)

That actually looks nice and you gave me some ideas for the model. Thank you!! :slight_smile:

But will the N-gons actually make a good “deal”? I mean, will they help decrease the face and vertices count? I guess they all will be triangulated in the end, and some ppl say that you should avoid N-gons no matter what and others to use them as you said, on flat surfaces.

Depends on what program you’re going to use your model in,if it’s just in blender and is going going to be a render then they shouldn’t cause problems.You want to avoid them on more complex models because they cause problems with UV unwraps.

Chances are low that an Ngon will be converted to even triangles or quads.If you want,i can show you an example of the model using only quads and tris.

It’s generally a bad habit to use Ngons since they give problems with textures,the mesh won’t deform properly and they may cause problems with some modifiers and some programs.

Alright, thanks for explaining! Then I think I will keep avoiding N-gons for now. My next problem with this model is definitely going to be with the lighting and make it look glossy and pretty, but that’s gonna be in another thread…