Dominoes toppling

This is my very first animation ever done :slight_smile:
I know I still have lots to learn but you have to start somewhere.
My camera work is probably really poor, I need look at a couple of tutorials for how to better control the camera so it moves smoother with the falling dominoes.

Any comment or tips are greatly appreciated.

Just like you said, there is a problem with the camera. IMO, it is moving too fast and too close to the scene until the fall of the 2nd ball (first 10 seconds), so we cannot really see the animation of objects. During the last 10 seconds, camera shows a more ā€œglobalā€ view of the scene, that gives a better feeling, and allows us to really see the animation of dominoes falling.
The first ball is maybe rolling too fast, and stops too suddenly.
Because of the camera position, we canā€™t really see the movement and fall of the second ball, which would be one of the most interesting animation for a beginner.

This is not bad at all for a first animation :slight_smile:

Hey, thatā€™s not bad. Not sure why you had troubles with camera, it just seems you didnā€™t put enough time to refine its movements. If I were doing this kind of animation, Iā€™d create appropriate curve path and made camera target follow that path so that the target always stays near ā€œactiveā€ tile. Then point the camera to the target with track to constraint and animate camera location to get better angles. Pretty simple but should do the trick.

Thanks for the info. When I made this I wasnā€™t aware of the path in Blender but when looking for some camera tips on youtube I found a lot of information about it.
I am currently working on a new scene that looks more realistic like a normal room. I will definitely use the follow path functionality in that scene.

Great work! In addition to the camera I felt the animation itself was too fast, I assume you are doing this with rigid body physics. In the properties window on the ā€˜sceneā€™ tab under ā€˜rigid body worldā€™ when checked there is an option to set the speed for the animation of the physics rendering.

Thanks. Meanwhile I have been playing some more with virtual dominoes (as with real life dominoes :slight_smile: ) and currently I have set the speed to .6. Just wondering why I would need to slow it down. I was under the impression that 1 meant ā€œas in real lifeā€ so why do I need to slow it down?

Technically that point is true, but that is assuming that you have the same sized dominos in blender as they exist in reality (in inches/cm). Sometimes blender has a hard time with rigid body physics when the models are too small, especially with complex collisions (like intersecting pieces). So when the models are larger it effects the way an animation plays (with the physics that is), slowing down the animation makes it ā€œfeelā€ more realistic to the viewer in this case. In the end itā€™s most important that the viewer feels like it is real.