tutorial - setting up vehicels w/ rigid body constraints in the blender render engine

hello, i’m ironshirt and here’s my tutorial on rigid body vehicle setup in the blender render engine. :slight_smile:

i’ll be starting slow with this since this is my 1st tutorial.

below is a growing list of tutorial files from start to finish in order as i complete them. if you have any questions, wait for the tutorial file’s accompanying “finished” file to join the list and download the updated .zip.

i will update the .zip as i finish them so a completed file might come a day or so after the start file and the tutorial will increase in complexity as the list grows.

please, if you are anxious. go ahead and post questions. just be sure. :slight_smile:

also, two more important notes before you begin.

1. i designed the file structure to stack together for ease (just use the same folder) “delta.cubit.controller” and it’ll all fit.

2. the tutorial is a text file packed into the .blend, unless it’s an issue. than images might be included in the images folder and referenced.

–delta.cubit.controller–

–cubit.simple–
-delta.cubit.simple.tutorial_01 (SETTING UP THE BASIC PHYSICS)
-delta.cubit.simple.tutorial_02 (SETTING UP THE GENERIC CONSTRAINTS FOR A DROP-TEST)
-delta.cubit.simple.tutorial_03 (SETTING UP THE SUSPENSION CONSTRAINTS)

–cubit.original–
-delta.cubit.original_v1.0

Attachments

delta.cubit.controller.zip (3.05 MB)

here’s an update meter for those of you that don’t want to fuss with drips of unpolished files and shifting naming conventions.

the images wordage may change. :slight_smile:

here’s a list of video files displaying the steps as they should look after complete. for reference.

-delta.cubit.simple.tutorial_01 (SETTING UP THE BASIC PHYSICS)

-delta.cubit.simple.tutorial_02 (SETTING UP THE GENERIC CONSTRAINTS FOR A DROP-TEST)

-delta.cubit.simple.tutorial_03 (SETTING UP THE SUSPENSION CONSTRAINTS)

Thanks for posting this, ironshirt! As soon as I get some free time this week (working on my own guide at the moment), I’ll play around with it. It looks great!

Thanks for posting this, ironshirt! As soon as I get some free time this week (working on my own guide at the moment), I’ll play around with it. It looks great!

you’re welcome :).

i updated the .zip with a copy of the original controller i made, for more advanced users who like to just rip into things. it’s almost exactly like the original one. :wink:

Haven’t had time yet to watch your tutorials or try the example files… but judging by the topic title, this is only going to work in Blender Internal, not Cycles, or is the title just confusing me? (Can’t think of any reason why a rigging method wouldn’t work in other render engines but as I said, I haven’t watched the tutorials yet).

Haven’t had time yet to watch your tutorials or try the example files… but judging by the topic title, this is only going to work in Blender Internal, not Cycles, or is the title just confusing me? (Can’t think of any reason why a rigging method wouldn’t work in other render engines but as I said, I haven’t watched the tutorials yet).

it works in both, but “real time” shadowing only works in blender render with glsl at the moment i’m pretty sure, i think. so the lighting would be a different setup, depending on which render setup you prefer.