Zombie Orphan Alpha 1.0

This is the Alpha for the 3D game Zombie Orphan. We made it in Blender and worked with it for about two months. You play as a little zombie girl inside a orphanage. Your mission is to turn the boys in to zombies and then escape. Gamepad and keyboard support.

System requirements:
I dont think that the game will run smoothly on a slow computer.

Feedback we would like:
Is it fun?
Is it to easy/hard?
Does it lag?
How does the game look?
Other general feedback?

Download it here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aem07bekv20hv9r/AABvXcU6jhSuRjPLWqin9ajAa?dl=0

Screenshots:

Ooh, I want this! This looks just wonderful.
A shame, it is Windows-only.

Any chance of releasing a .blend version? It would be smaller, and cross-platform.

Nines, you can just run the exe with blenderplayer. I’m playing this on Linux.

Feedback

• bit dark
  • camera is annoying (slow to follow in narrow passages)
  • looks like the bear is floating rather than hanging
  • can’t see in front of me
  • not clear what the “converting” process is, controls seem to be that I have to mash space but it is probably more common to require it to be held down for a while. a progress bar would help. If you don’t like those, a camera flight over the eating scene which stops if you stop holding space would indicate that you have to keep it pressed.
  • kids have guns. weird but ok :slight_smile:
  • from the title screen i was assuming i would be playing the blonde kid.
  • nice atmosphere
  • no clue how to survive the 2nd enemy

Thank you for playing and the feedback!

Feedback

• bit dark

Yeah, i saw that now when i watched your recording. we have not got al the lighting we wanted in the game yet, it should be candles. We really should fix it!

• camera is annoying (slow to follow in narrow passages)

Could be, But we wanted the camera to be a bit slow cause you play as a zombie. It gets faster thou if you’d play more. We wanted to get a spooky feeling by getting around the corners slow.

• not clear what the “converting” process is, controls seem to be that I have to mash space but it is probably more common to require it to be held down for a while. a progress bar would help. If you don’t like those, a camera flight over the eating scene which stops if you stop holding space would indicate that you have to keep it pressed.

We wanted this to be a fight, so if you dont push space fast enough he will escape. We will think abort som kind of a process bar.

• nice atmosphere

Thank you, it is one of the most important thing in this game. :yes:

• no clue how to survive the 2nd enemy

Try to sneek behind him and then bite.

Again, thanks for your feedback! Hope you’ll give it an other try! And good luck with passing the other enemy. :cool:

Good to know. I will try and download it now. I simply read the System Requirements in the OP and assumed…

Now I really have to try this! LOL

This looks interesting. I will try it out and maybe make a lets play of it if that´s fine :smiley:

Of course! Beware of these bugs though : Camera sometimes gets far away from player.
Sometimes you can not point the zombies to the human he shuld eat.
Humans escspe sometimes funny.

We are very open to ideas. ��

Have fun playing!

Hmmm. This is what I get when I try to run the exe.

The program 'blender' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install blender

I’m pretty sure I do have blender installed. I’m staring at it right now :smiley:

you can’t run .exe natively on linux… you can emulate them, but not run em’, it is windows only.

Use Wine to run it if it is default “Save as Game Engine runtime”(2.7x or 2.6x folder, some windows .dlls and just one .exe- the game). Elseway Wine wont work…

I did manage to get it working!

Problem was, I was directing my console to the exe, when I should have been directing it to the blender folder.

It runs surprisingly well for me! A little choppy, but totally playable.

I just could not manage to tap space fast enough to be able to do anything to the boys.
I might suggest assigning the QTE command to something other than the spacebar? Personally, I find the spacebar hard to ‘mash’ on like that.
But still, using two fingers and both hands and tapping space at about 350bpm still doesn’t seem to do much :stuck_out_tongue:
Also, it seems that either the zombie girl is bullet-proof, or the boys don’t know how to go for the head (getting shot has no effect, I assume you’re supposed to die if you get shot too many times?) I was able to walk through the whole level (I think?) and just ignore the boys and I was just fine.

But hell, 5 stars for atmosphere and mood! Excellent lighting, great textures, perfect music. And OMG the teddy bear…poor lil’ fella’…

Keep it up! The world needs more ‘imaginative’ zombie games like this.

Alright, here´s the video with my impressions of the game.
Very great atmosphere with graphics and sound.
Add some more content or gameplay variety for longer motivation.

Also your animations are a bit too slow, increasing the pacing of the game would also make it more enjoyable.

I was compelled to record a quick Let’s (Try To) Play vid of my own.

Try as I might, I just cannot get my teeth up in those brains…

Thanks everyone for playing, and the feedback, we really need it! It is so easy to get use to the bugs when you playing it often. I see that many of you have had many problems with the gameplay, mostly the camera. We will make it better. It is important that you see in front of you all the time.

The behavior of the humans will change alot to the next version of it, and the zombies will work better. We are going to put in an in game tutorial. We are also fixing bugs.

In the finished game there will be a story, so we will also try to put in some of that in this Alpha!

I think the next version is going to be much better, and i hope you will be there to try it out! :slight_smile: