Stamp alpha channel (Photoshop)

Hello everyone!
Do you know how I can include the alpha channel when using the stamp tool?
It just seems to use RBG colors.

Thank you very much in advance,
Greetings,
Shu

Do you mean transparency or a layer mask?

I mean transparency, I guess.
Here are two images that might illustrate the problem a little better:
“texture1_original” shows the first layer and in “texture1” another layer is added (in this case, the blue color).
Then, when I want to stamp on the second layer, I can only stamp the RGB colors (in this case, the blue color) and not the transparency, resulting in messed up areas because the stamp will copy the blue, but won’t copy the transparency. So the blue will be spread to transparent areas, but the transparent areas won’t be stamped onto blue areas.
In other words: The layer becomes just more blue. But I just want to spread the texture and correct some areas with the stamp.
texture1_original

texture1

Still not sure if I understand your issue, but isn’t that what a “stamp” is supposed to do?
Let’s think of a real rubber stamp, which has raised areas that get in touch with the ink pad and recessed areas that do not. If you press this stamp onto a coloured surface, it will of course add more color where its raised areas touch the surface - but it can not magically erase any existing color with its recessed areas…:eyebrowlift2:

Thank you for your reply!
I do understand the logic you are implying, yet that’s exactly what I want and I feel like it wouldn’t make sense to leave out that possibility in a software that clearly could do that. I mean, the software doesn’t have to inherit limitations of actual tools.
Also, I can hardly believe it’s not possible, because the usefulness is pretty obvious.
Please, if it is possible, somebody tell me how. :smiley:
I did come up with a tricky channel-involving workaround, but it doesn’t really work well. I end up with strange color tints. Also, it’s not easy to work with because working on multiple alpha layers simultaneously is optically limiting.
(I thought I could copy the RBG channels to new alphas, then use a 4th channel for transparency, then stamp on all of those four channels simultaneously and afterwards I would transfer the alpha layer data from the copied RBG layers to the actual RBG layers and use the 4th channel to clear opacity.)

Just to make sure, here is a further image illustrating what I want to do:
(The blue area on the left is supposed to be the stamp getting data and the blue area on the right is the stamp supposed to be stamping.)

Of course, I’d also like to be able to stamp transparency in all its “shades”, anywhere from 0 to 255, not just 0 and 255 like it is shown in this example.

Why not convert the transparency of a layer to a layer mask, and then use the stamp tool on the layer masks? Works for transparency. Unfortunately, not combined with the colour data.

(Layer–>Layer Mask–>From Transparency).

Thank you very much for pointing this out!
It does help, but it’s very hard to deal with, too.
Most of the time, I create textures on the iPad and then, when I want to edit them in Photoshop, I don’t have the same brushes. So it’s very tricky to stamp the transparency just like the RGB colors.
So it would be much easier to just be able to stamp RGB and transparency all at once.
I thought I could maybe use the layer mask and stamp it along with alpha copies of RGB, but Photoshop won’t let me do that either. I can select either the layer mask or the alpha copies or the RGB channels.

EDIT:
Also, on more detailed textures, when I stamp RGB and afterwards the layer mask, the texture will become very blurry because the stamped RGB and layer mask don’t line up with each other.

i dont know if your issue is similar https://forums.adobe.com/thread/952761,it says if you stamp 50% transparency on 50% transparency it becomes 100% opaque.

Which is the expected behaviour for the stamp tool. Although I agree it would be nice to have an additional option which would allow for “absolute” transparency cloning.

Yes, this is the problem exactly. Unfortunately, they don’t seem to have a real solution either.

I don’t know if I will find a way to do this any time soon, but if I do, I will surely drop a line here.
I’m not too optimistic, though, as I have been trying to get a solution to this problem for several months now without actually getting somewhere.