Blender Adaptation of SkyRoads

Remember that old 1993 game SkyRoads where you had to jump your ship from platform to platform? I tried porting it into Blender.

I have never worked with the Game Engine before, so this is my first game. I’ve put everything up on GitHub if you would like to give it a try. It definitely has some work to go but I’m proud of what I came up with.

Let me know what you think!

Well done! I’m assuming you were going for “freakishly frustrating”:slight_smile:

No idea how to trigger instructions or credits though.

My game play experience was not much different than this. It seems like there should be a way to hover, or steer while in mid-air. Otherwise, there’s really no way to do anything but go straight forward or flying off the side of the screen. If you put the ship in the right spot (about the left 1/3rd side of the first yellow platform) you can get through the whole thing by just going straight and timing the jumps right. That’s the only way I was able to get anywhere at all.
(maybe all the gauges on the HUD have something with future expanded controls?)

I have not played the original Sky Roads, so I can’t say how this compares to the original. I do get that “I’m playing one of those funky old 90s MS-DOS games” feeling while I play through, which is a good thing!
I was going to comment on the nice-looking HUD graphics. After a little research, all I can say is…they’re accurate.

The instructions haven’t been written yet! As for the game, the level was mostly designed as a sand box to demonstrate game physics, so I understand it is quite difficult. It CAN be completed, however ( At 1:32 in the video you had the right idea )

The original game doesn’t let you steer in the air, but it has a more responsive jump. It also lets you steer and jump again after the first bounce, which I haven’t implemented yet.

Thanks for trying it out!

EDIT: I have touched up the game a bit. Now you can finish the level (it says “Road complete”) and the ship is a bit easier to steer. You can now steer after a bounce. Also got the speed gauge on the HUD to work sort of.