Bone based facial rigging

Hey guys, I’ve been searching for a guide to create a full bone based facial rig, but until now I’ve seen just simple descriptions or video demos for other softwares; and I’m having a hard time trying to understand the basic concepts to be able to apply them in Blender.

Juan Pablo Souza made a pretty awesome bone based rig for Victor of Gooseberry, that’s what I need to create but I can’t find any information about how to create it in Blender.
[video]https://youtu.be/LLzCSzfQe8A?t=26m4s[/video]

Do you know of any resource, article, tutorial, video or guide to make something like this?

Thank’s!

It may not be helpful, but the pitchipoy rig (part of the blender trunk) has a face rig built in.

Thank’s @BiggR, I’ll take a look at it :slight_smile:

Maybe I could do a reverse engineering on it hehe

I’m working on that on and off at the moment, looking to split out the eye etc. into separate rigify rigs so the face is a bit more modular not sure if I will finish it or not, but playing with it at the moment, I’ve got my head around how the rigify code is written and works it should not be that hard the core code is really nicely written and modular to extend. I’m surprised there are not more rig types people have made for it it lends it’s self to extension really well, I’m working on a quadraped rig at the moment as part of reworking some of it.

I also did a reworking of that vid that was posted as the audio goes out of sync and it’s a bit hard to follow it’s more as a reference for myself as much as anything so I don’t forget! but hopefuly useful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbcjlEHc9aQ if you look in the description I’ve put links to each part including setting up the face how they have it so you don’t have to sit through all of it, I’m pretty sure I have represented it correctly :slight_smile: The majority of the face bones they have apart from the eye and jaw are just to helpfully position widgets to tweak stuff, I think you would most likely add shape key drivers to them to take it to the next level but they are all in useful places.

Thank’s @Umii, precisely I was watching the Pitchipoy video last night. It is a pretty good rig!

Hopefully I won’t need to use shapekeys, I think they’re not flexible enough (unless you make a lot of them).

I use shapekeys in addition to the pitchypoy facial rig. The rig just won’t allow some common shapes with weight painting alone. Adding a few shapekeys and drivers to the bones already present, really makes it shine.

The only part of the facial rig that I don’t like is the tongue. It’s easy enough to exclude that before generating a new rig and adding your own in after, so not a huge problem for me.

Good luck!