Blender VR viewport - Any other oculus rift alternatives?

Having a look at Felinto’s work about bringing stereoscopy in the viewport, I am interested to know if there are other alternatives instead of Oculus.

Most important for users that are not dedicated to VR but still want to experience this feature any other alternatives would be great. For me the most practical choice would be support for a “Google Cardboard” device (aka turning an 100 dollar Android phone into a VR device).

The “Cardboard” might not be the most optimal or performant solution, but only to count the cost (that someone can get one without excuse) and that the Android SDK is completely available (that will lead to further experiments) without restrictions, this makes it best option in comparison to Oculus.

Do you know anything about this subject?

As someone who has a google cardboard, I can say that at least with the Nexus 5 it’s surprisingly functional (and with some software, you can stream video to the phone from the computer at reasonable quality over the USB). The catch, however, is I’ve not found games or programs on the PC that recognizes the streaming software or the phone as a VR headset (Steam and the various games I’ve tried refuse to enter VR rendering without an officially licensed VR headset plugged into the computer), so I haven’t been able to test it with anything other than the phone apps. Using it for modeling (especially sculpting!) in Blender would be pretty awesome.

samsung makes gear VR for note4

HTC and Valve have announced that their Vive vr headset will be available by the end of this year.

What about HoloLens? It looks awesome! I imagine myself painting, sculpting or navigating my virtual environment with it.