Challenge #618 (24/4/15) Entries CLOSED

Theme #618 for Friday 24th of April 2015 is: Favorite Supernatural Powers and Abilities

Entry closes at 22:30 GMT or 16:30 CST, Monday 27th of April 2015.

Ok who’s choosing invisibility, going to be quickest entry ever :slight_smile:

I was just thinking about this, can I check the rules, I’m thinking about having a human character as the main focus, is it ok to use one of my existing human models as a base mesh or perhaps a make human one as a base to build on and still have it pure or should I start from scratch and model the whole thing. I’m happy either way I just wanted to check so I don’t do it wrong :slight_smile:

It’s a really good question. I’m a bit torn on it, on the one hand I like the pureness and challenge of a fresh blend, but on the other I see nothing wrong with repurposing older meshes to speed up the creative process. I think that if you do pull in older models, there ought to be some major overhauls to it.

@Umii: This troubled me the other week too. Even though I’d mashed up the face for a couple of hours, made all the clothes from scratch, etc, I still just entered it as non competing. Quite often those who use Make Human enter as open (still in voting list), especially if it is the main focus. Personally I don’t want to be strict as this is for fun, learning and practice.

All that said, when I read Midnightcpu’s comment this week:

I instantly felt like penalising them because it wasn’t stated and should have been classed as open, i.e. I felt it was sort of unfair to others. However after that initial gut reaction I also thought, hey ho this ain’t such a serious event, however if they’d won and then said that and I was an entrant then I’d be sort of annoyed.

Bottom line, I’d prefer people declare such work as open and let the voters decide, and since details of why entries are open are in the previous thread it doesn’t make much difference because I doubt many go back and check. We’ve also had open entries win so it obviously doesn’t matter to many as long as there is something strong enough to sway a vote.

So, since this is a community event, I’ll let you guys discuss it further and follow along with the consensus and if need be amend the rules (er if I can).

• Footnote: However Make Human does really give one an advantage and generally I’d say if used as the focus (e.g. just a facial close up) then I’d say it needs to be open. On the other hand if it’s the new clothes, pose, situation, prop, etc that makes the image then pure is good, but this is just my opinion :wink:

Sounds fair, let me see what I come up and and I’ll say what I did and go with the consensus, essentially I want to spend the time refining my weight painting etc on the clothes and I want to do a full pitchy ploy rig with face to practice that which will take me long enough making the cloths as well :slight_smile: rather than making the body which I know I can do but it would be one or the other in the time most likely :slight_smile: (or I might change my mind entirely :wink: still thinking! )

In my opinion it’s fair enough to reuse old 3d models but what is not new has to be declared (i reused that tree, that house…). Pure or open depends on your decision, if just minor details has been imported i think can be still considered pure.

On a finer detail, what about textures and materials?
A lot of times i used textures downloaded and/or modified time before the competition. Materials alwais from scratch, i need to build a decent library.

i guess i agree with you Rarebit i should give the details on most of my work but 95% of the time everything i do for the WEC is something new and the other 5% i get lazy and use my old models knowing that the possibility of not winning is inevitable do to the lack of detail in the old ones.

as far as make human i only used it once in the WEC “Folklore” because like i said during that time i was being lazy.

this WEC is what ive been wanting to do since i started WEC a few months ago but never won to get the chance to do SNAP But i would have worded it diffrent Like “Gaia Character”

anyway i’ll let you know during entry about the models i make.

good luck everyone and have fun doing what you like doing.

“Matchmaker”

Non-competing. Cycles. 800 samples.

We have company for the weekend, so I had to dig into the vault. The woman is original (older) work, and not MH.

well heres my entry ADVENTURE TIME “Power of the imagination”

Bemo was made about 6 months ago.
Finn, jake the legs, mountain and grass was made yesterday and today.

materials on the grass was made by me during my avatars creation a year ago, i used a tut for blender internal and converted it over to cycles and got the grass.
Finns skin made by me with no textures for my avatar in blender cycles for other characters his cloths are just colors in blender.
Jake is nothing but color, gloss and displace of cloud texture in blender no outside textures
the mountain has a texture of rock on it with my own node setup and the sky is just a texture plain.

good luck everyone and have fun blending and modeling. :slight_smile:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]375333[/ATTACH]

Here’s mine, obviously the power everyone want’s is supernatural blender skills!, I introduce blender girl :slight_smile: Cycles

I did what I said and based it off a new make human model as I wanted to practice rigging, everything else made in blender and I rigged it from scratch in blender with the new pitchipoy rig including full face rig, teeth etc. second time I’ve tried this, went much better this time! So I’d sort of like to enter it as pure just because I worked just as hard on it as any of my others and it’s all new but if it’s open so be it I won’t get upset :slight_smile: Used Krita for the first time painting some of the textures, that’s really cool will have to look at it more!

My usual crazy disorganised scene set-up! good job I don’t have to work with anyone else they would hate me I’m sure!

she should be saying " ADD MONKEY! "

@Umii, i like it, but according to the rules, it needs to be open, not pure. Pure means that you modeled the major parts of the scene just for this contest instance.

Gotta be honest, last night I never even noticed Suzanne in the image Umii, just the character… And the clothes are basically the body mesh!

Also her left ankle looks seriously broken!

Hi, guys! This is my first entry in Weekend Challenge: Cyclops, from X-Men, about to fire an optic blast.

Open - I used Luxrender to render the image, with 2.000 samples. The background is an HDR image.

This image already was uploaded in Finished Work forum. Sorry if I committed some mistake in my entry.
Cheers!

its just a bit of fun went more old school Lycra :slight_smile: there are some modeld parts they are actually separate parts of the mesh like the boots belt neck etc. I could have done it all one mesh but that was not what I was learning. I was practicing transferring weight paint etc and didn’t want to over complicate it, was interesting where I had the neck piece it just wasn’t picking up the weight properly just because I had a small cutout in it took me a while to figure it out. Now you mention it I may have over extended her leg :slight_smile:

anyhow a I’ve said a couple of time it’s no problem pop it in open its fine I totally get it, I was focusing on the rigging this week rather than modelling and spent my time on that and that new meta rig in 2.73/4 with the face has quite a few bits to learn over the old rigify one it even calculates the IK stuff differently so you have to place the bones slightly differently etc to get a good result.

Posted in finished on 8th April!

I’ll enter it as Non Competing…

Wanilson, it’s a really cool image, but you would need to make some major changes to it to enter it as a WEC (having already posted it as a finished image). I’ve changed my own entry to non-competing, as the bulk of it was created previously and it kind of defeats the spirit of the WEC which at it’s core is about creating something totally new, and more or less from scratch. Using old models probably ought to be limited to minor background elements, or just very simple things. I can’t really look myself in the mirror and say that my entry is mostly new.

Umii, are you rigging the makehumans just for experience, you know they come fully rigified right?

I don’t understand… the competition didn’t open on 24-Apr-15??

"Theme #618 for Friday 24th of April 2015 is: Favorite Supernatural Powers and Abilities

Entry closes at 22:30 GMT or 16:30 CST, Monday 27th of April 2015."

Edited:

OH, Ok, I understand now.

Anyway, It ill be fun to participate.

Yes just using it for a base mesh to practice on, also I’d only seen them with the old rigify rig or the other rig, not the new pitchipoy rig with the face controls or did I miss something ?

I’m changing mine to non competing just in case for this week as it’s a bit borderline I think and although I spent a good amount of time on it with the rigging weight painting etc. and didn’t just upload a prebuilt as such I could see how folks could take it either way and I don’t want that noise :slight_smile: Next week will be particles :wink: