Overworld [Abandonware]

With an increase in public interest in making the survival/openworld/chop-down-trees genre of games, I couldn’t help but attempt it myself.
I never got to the point of being able to chop down trees in this game, but since I’ve more or less abandoned the project, it’s doing nothing but sit here on my hard drive. I did put a good amount of work into this, so the least I can do is share what I have managed to make:

Overworld Alpha Demo

Open overworld1_3_3.blend to play the game. The other .blend files are assets which are linked to the main file.
I suggest playing in fullscreen mode. If playing in windowed mode, be cautious of dragging in-game items off the edge of the view.
If no text shows up when you hit play, exit and try again. You might have to re-start Blender. Text objects suck…
Rocks, trees, and items are randomly placed on the world every time you play.
As far as I know the thing runs stable, but is not very optimized. Expect framerate loss with lots of objects on-screen.

Controls are meant to be simple, and are all mouse-based (except ESC to exit).
Right click on the ground to move in that direction. You kinda-sort path-find around objects.
Left click on an item to get its description. Hold and drag an item to pick it up (if you’re within about 2 tiles of it)
The brown square in the lower right corner is your Backpack. Drag objects into your backpack to add them to your inventory.
Likewise, you can drag-and-drop items from your backpack onto a ground tile to drop them.
The Backpack itself can be clicked and dragged around the screen.
While dragging an item, you can use the mouse wheel to rotate the object.

Crafting kinda-sorta works some of the time, but is woefully incomplete. Double-click on an item to ‘activate’ it. Click on a second item to use the first as a tool on the second, to craft a new item. Moving the character will cancel a crafting order.
This is about where the system I have built started to break down, and I eventually gave up. If the project is revived, this aspect will need some serious love.

And a screenshot, for good measure:

Maybe, if the inspiration is there, this could be revived. Maybe someone will get some good ideas from this to use in their own work.

1 Like

This looks really pretty, but I couldn’t figure out on my own how to do something besides move and look at things. :slight_smile:

The stones (small rocks, not the boulders) and branches can be picked up with the mouse, like you’re dragging icons around on your desktop.
The backpack square is like a window, which stores your items, like you drag files into a folder.
It’s supposed to be an emulation of how many of the Ultima games (Online specifically) did this sort of interaction.

Double-click a stone and click on another stone to break it into Stone Shards.
Use the Stone again on Stone Shards to break that into a Large Stone Blade.
Use the Stone again to turn it into a Small Stone Blade.

(further planned was going to be)
Use Stone Blades on Branch to carve it into a Long Handle.
Use a Blade again to turn it into a Short Handle.
Long Handle+Large Blade = Axe
Short Handle+Large Blade = Hatchet
Long Handle+Small Blade = Spear
Short Handle+Small Blade = Knife
Long Handle+Stone = Maul
Short Handle+Stone = Hammer
Short Handle+Short Handle = Mallet

If you look through the bottom row of layers in the editor, you can see most of these assets are already in place, many of them do not show up when you play the game.

Wow, i’m mindblown by what You’ve done there. You got brains! And the things You wrote in those scripts is totally awesome but i’m sad as i can’t take in anything of it but at least i got it and i can attempt to study it and to read and check out how You’ve used the logic bricks and so on. You’re frikkin awesome!