cloth sim NOT working - help?

Hi!
I have v-ray for blender version 2.73 with the v-ray standalone. currently there are issues with our v-ray standalone and i have been in contact with chaos group about that but i’ve come across another problem:

our cloth simulation is absolutely not working. no special project here - all i need to do is place a tablecloth on a table - which is essentially dropping a plane on a cube. easy peasy. but the plane drops right through the cube - nothing happens.

here is what i’ve already tried:
cloth modifier on a subdivided plane
collision modifier on my cube

i’ve played around with the settings for hours and nothing changes - my plane drops right through my cube when i play the animation. i have blender 2.72 on my other computer (without v-ray) and this cloth simulator works just fine so i’m wondering if my program is just bugging… or if i’m missing something in user preferences.

any ideas?

If i’m right there was a problem with cloth simulation in 2.73 version due to a change in the physics system for the new hair system, but it should be fixed now, you could just use a new version of blender to create the sim and then import it back to the vray version.

Try baking as opposed to alt-a