anybody know how this is done? is it lights/enviroment light or color grade?

is it color grade or the rim and key lights and maybe a color grade or environment lighting. but see how in little warrior the plants seem to to blend in with that atmosphere.
when I watch composting tutorials, I see the same thing, render passes but not color grade or this type of effect. I know they add camera depth of field and blur nodes vignette nodes but… how is this color of light done?

Attachments

I know but they took the tutorial down. its also on blender site not sure what its called blender nation or so. but when you go to the tutorial page doesn’t exist.

Message him (if he’s not still banned, he’s also known as @abc123) asking if he can put back up the tut.
Tell him you wouldn’t touch blender because you’re a real PRO and PROs don’t use such amateurish software

I did, he never replied. but figure to ask, but do you know if it’s composting or render passes that deal with camera blur / depth of field and atmosphere lighting that kind of blends in with the textures. I guess its called point based global illumination and something about texture bleed? only tutorials I can find are on render passes not atmosphere/color grade or mixed warm and cool lighting for atmosphere.

thanks, i just wrote him .
lol. I bet blender will be in the pros. I mean you have everything in one software. sculpt composting and rendering movie files. Just blender cant handle high poly. mesh. lol

The effect of the plants blending with the background is an atmosferic effect, color grading has no effect on that specific aspect (well it would change the color of the image but not the atmosphere).

That particular effect is created with the zdepth and/or the mist pass. You can create it on render time too, using volumetric rendering but it would take a LOT of time and a LOT of samples to clean up the noise.

As for the color, I think it’s better to use white lights (or colored light with very little saturation) on the scene and change the colors during composition, as it would give more control over the final image.

EDIT:
Here’s a quick explanation of it

compositing with passes and color grading go hand in hand. if you have all the seperate passes from the renderer you can change the color of everything very easy. and even further you can easily change the highlights or midtones or shadows seperate. you can turn the shadows to blue and the highlights to yellow if you wish.
you can use additional passes like the z-Depth or volume layers to do additional effects (e.g. fog or mist, DoF, MotionBlur with motion vectors)

in the end you can even do a “overall” grading if you want to change it more on a global perspective (like a photographer adjust a picture)

in opposite to julperado i would suggest to try to get as close as possible to the mood you want in the lighting/shading and do some final adjustments in comp/grading. but it all depends on how much time you have to finish you shots in 3d.

maybe this is also helpfull:
http://renderman.pixar.com/view/TGT_Compositing

thanks guys. I will watch those two videos and try to find out more about I guess 3 point lighting with atmosphere lighting? also I figured to understand textures and cameras for better visuals I should understand color depth and deep color

start to think i understand something then… it all changes, changes into how I guess things like The hobbit it had to be speed up to 40 frames per-second based on digital that’s why everything is so fast , but then… it went into different color because I guess in Tangled they used the traditional animation along with non photo realistic rendering and i got lost around here because it started talking about paint, water color paint,and different color types , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watercolor_painting#Color_names

and so on, and camera lens 35mm to to these new 4k tv. so not sure where to starts? cinematography or color theory?

Lighting technique and aesthetics

Background lighting
Cameo lighting
Fill light
Flood lighting
High-key lighting
Key lighting
Lens flare
Low-key lighting
Mood lighting
Rembrandt lighting
Stage lighting
Soft light

so its weird because you got color settings and angles, camera angels then color depth and somehow they go hand in hand but they don’t, like the shutter and iso. so, figured to start off with either color theory or color depth so I can know what makes a good image and maybe then, I could probably look up photography distance and iso shutter settings for each camera angle , zoom etc.

and your all probably saying whats this have to do with composting , i figured if I don’t know what the difference is in color and textures I don’t think I would understand or venture off into new things if I don’t understand the break down and how each effects the other. . I just wish cgi light and image textures when together since they go together and what makes the scene interesting or not. so do I look up cgi lighting next or is this all part of color theory?

thanks, gives, me at least a list of what to look up and that environment atmosphere seems pretty cool to learn. if Blender can now paint image textures, does it look good? I haven’t seen any tutorials where someone tool cement image or wood image and textured paint them, they normal use a color from the materials and then bake it in the internal render. so I am curious if blender can give image textures that digital look.

That’s a LOT of information to take at once, I’d recommend you to get this book (The Art of 3D Computer Animation and Effects) as a starting point, for me it was a pretty comprehensive guide to understand the basics of CGI. Then, you can go deeper on each subject, depending on what you need or like the most.

Also read the excellent Digital Lighting and Rendering by Jeremy Birn. He did the digital lighting for Wall-E, The Incredibles, UP, and much more.

THANKS GUYS. I do have one more question and it’s about the order of I guess baking all your maps. can you do all your maps at one time? or is better to do them separate? like ambient and maybe normal or displacement first or together, than diffuse and specular so you can see how the light reacts to your textures before setting up a scene?

anybody know where there is a tutorial on all of these maps? I know Andrew price has a good one on how to do it with cycles but, I would like to see how and the effect sit does to each texture and final texture you know. a complete break down now that it can be all done together in cycles now.

I figured today study about render passes and baking along with this manual I found on composting nodes for blender
manual
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Composite_Nodes/Types/Filter

a video i found that shows a break down, so figured to look up these nodes and try it.

someone who teaches Photoshop said maybe using smudge painting might help with making image textures look digital painted. not sure how blender looks with its paint tool on a image texture yet?

i’m sorry but i have little trouble to understand your problem right now?

do you need advice on how to paint textures? do you need advice on how to do lighting? do you need advice on image composition (placement of everything in the frame, cinematography)? do you need advice on materials/shaders?

for me it seems your mixing up a lot of topics and jumping to other topics

that’s why I was asking, i a not sure if the effect I want in the pics below was a composite effect, bloom and color grade or a warm and cool lighting mix with a atmosphere volume light.

i would say it starts with textures/shading and lighting and then goes on in compositing/grading.
you start creating your final mood in lighting/shading and then you can enhance that in compositing/grading. some effects, like volume lights, are expensive in terms of rendertime. so you would create another renderpass with just the volume lights and all objects with a black holdout material. this can render quiet fast and you can add it as an effect layer in compositing. also DoF and Motionblur can be added as a post effect, it wont look as good as rendered but its faster to control and change. the atmospheric fog/haze is also a simple thing to do in compositing, so dont hesitate to use it.

but again: the general mood of the picture should be set in lighting/shading. so use a more cold/blue enviroment for the cold/blue shadows and then warm/yellowish (key)lights.