Short Film - New Hope

This is a test to see how much of an effort it is to create a short film using blender
Answer : ALOT
This will remain open until the end of April, and then it will be locked again

Nice job Markom, I also know how much hard work it is. Very pleasant to watch, god job on lipsync , some defaults here and there,
but it remains a good short film.

Congratulations on this. Looks like a lot of effort went into it.
As Kubrick said, “the best education in film is to make one”

Keep up!

This is very interesting project.

Bad parts of project:

• lipsynch (This is lot time consuming, its not just ordinary animation, i undesrtand; even when other aspects are bad, good lipsynch is the best way to archieve much convincing storytelling)
  • animation (not as important as lipsynch, yet good walk cycle creates in viewer much sense of reality than anything other)
  • for home rendering and lot time consuming projects is better to use BI. For static shots, you can use cycles for the environment and BI for action part of shots and then compose in Compositor. I think you just saved time, i undestand that planing and dividing scenes should be another time consuming task.

You are capble of:

• work with camera (not the best, BUT is dynamic, is not somehow too much off, still there’s you can improve a lot)
  • storytelling (man, I didn’t miss anything and i was watching it to the end!)
  • plot (from the first shot to last i was waitnig for another scene)
  • cabin shots rendering especially control panel refl. (i think it’s result of using cycles; reflection of control panel in eyes is very convincing effect and so far the best in the whole movie!)
  • gestures (though i would expect more gestures, hand folding in conversation between two guys is on place and convincing as animation should be)

My suggestions:

• first and most important message: Keep up! You already did a great job. I hope you learned a lot and you will use your knowledge in future!
  • If you are not artist yourself, ask somebody (in your surrounding, or here at forum) to draw you storyboard. Plan/consult length of shots (flying ships are beautiful, but not in shot longer than 10 seconds in 6 minute video with story) Plan camera setup and plan which rendering engine you will use for which element (if you do so).
  • try to make sci-fi movie much simple in number of human protagonist. For one man project (as this is) concept of man vs. machine would be less animation oriented thus easier to complete faster.

Good job!

The lip sync is off. That has been mentioned. But what happened on the 5 minute and 43 second mark? It look liked a quick blur for a moment.

Thxs for the feed back and comments guys. I will def be creating another short film in the future, but at the moment I am working on another project.

That was the of been the character coming off the curve to standing still.

Here are some things that I found whilst making the short

• 6 months to make, plus rendering on a gtx 980 took about 21 days - Probs will use BI next time
  • having someone else look at your work and give strong feedback is very important. After looking at the same thing for so long, just a suggestion like adding a moon to a planet was mind blowing to me and it just gave more depth.
  • I didn’t do this, but asking for help would of made life better
  • Blend swap was fantastic
  • Use reference footage. Time will help so much. They characters had so much flow in the last scene because of this compared to the first half.
  • Folder structure is required at the start.

That is that comes time mind right now.

Cheers