Materials changed unexpectedly

Good day Blenderartists :slight_smile:

I’ve been painstakingly following a tutorial on making a fall road all day. Things were going pretty well until I misunderstood an instruction regarding the particle system, which caused a bit of a bother. So I closed out and reverted to a previously saved version, only to find all the materials had mysteriously changed to purple and i had lost my UV maps.

The nodes are still there, but I can’t find a method of reconnecting them. The UV mapping was done by smart mapping - they have vanished and when I try to re-map, nothing happens!

Please help - it has been a very long day and I’d hate to have to redo everything :slight_smile:fallroad.blend (3.53 MB)

You have no images packed in this blend, so it’s tough to know. I can see the path that the images is looking for is desktop/blendtemp/

usually you want to put your textures in the same directory as the blend itself, normally in a folder called textures.

That being said, your nodes won’t work the way you have them, you are using a glossy bsdf as a mix factor which cannot work. You need to unhook the glossy node going into the mix factor and either manually set a number (.15 means the bottom shader gets 15% influence) You also have a mix shader with only one shader going into it. That’s like making a gin and tonic with only tonic. I posted a shot of nodes that would work.

Good luck.

see above LOL

Thanks Photox. I do have the textures in the same folder as the blend file - this one was recovered from my temp folder, so obviously lost the link. I’ve re-established the link and, with your help got all my textures back :slight_smile:

Any idea why the the texture map is not using the alpha? It has been like this since I first imported it, before making the nodes. I noticed in the tut, his used the alpha from the start. The image is a .png and the alpha works in all other apps I’ve tested it in.

Any thoughts on the UV mapping? I’ve tried smart mapping again this morning and absolutely nothing happens!

Attachments

plug the image alpha into the factor of the final mixer (may need to swop the other 2 inputs over lol )

Thank you so much - that sorted it and my UV’s mysteriously re-appeared, so I can now get on with the tut:)

This is my first experience with texture nodes, so I’m learning the hard way, but it does stick!

If for any reason you loose your textures, for example retrieving a file from the TEMP folder and saving it somewhere else, all you need to do is go to File=> External Data => Find missing files.
So for example if you loose the textures, once you did what mentioned above, you select the folder where you saved your textures and Blender will automatically find them.

Now that is very handy info - thanks for the tip :slight_smile: