Baked textures look horrid in Unity

Hello,

I was trying to get bake a texture from cycles (only using diffuse don’t need the lighting with it, because I did the ligting in Unity)

I baked it, exported it to Unity, but now it looks not near as good as it did in Blender. Am I doing something wrong?

Here’s how it looks in blender in cycles (with the original non-baked nodes):

Here’s how it looks in blender (with the baked texture (and bump)):

And here’s how it looks in Unity:

The difference is huge, can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong is is this as good as it gets when exporting baked images to unity?

Thanks in advance,
H34DhUnT3r

It might come down to a mix of different filtering, compression, and lighting settings within the Unity scene.

I’m not sure what settings Unity uses for textures, but I know that game engines today can have various operations that can be done with imported textures such as additional compression (which can lead to quality loss).

I can’t help with Blender baking, but I might be able to help troubleshoot Unity problems. What shaders and lighting are you using? What do your actual texture files look like? Those blocky artifacts are quite odd–are they on the textures, or is Unity introducing them somewhere? How did you set up your bump/normal map in Unity (it looks flat to me)?

Some things to check:

• That the textures look correct in Photoshop/gimp or whatever you use
  • the dimensions of the Unity image import screen are correct
  • You’ve set normal maps to be imported as normal maps
  • Tech You are, indeed, using the correct shader and not some odd Legacy one

Edit: Oops, I just now noticed you’re using diffuse only. Ignore what I said about normal maps. Obviously it’s going to look flat! Well that explains most of the difference, but those blocky things are odd.

Well, even without bump map it shouldn’t look like this. I mean they lost a great deal of detail when imported into Unity. The uvmap of the texture is a bit weird, but the detail in the original baked texture looks fine. On second thought the weird blocky thingies are probably caused by the uvmap. (I uploaded it to imgur because it was too big for attachement here: http://i.imgur.com/gqOSSgG.jpg)

About the dimensions of the Unity image import screen. What do you mean with that, where can I find that and how do I know if the dimensions are correct.

In short, I don’t think the lack of bump or weird uvmap is causing it to look this bad, because the detail is still on the raw texture

EDIT:

Okay, I found the import settings on the texture and it was set to max size 1024 (even though the image is 4096) After I changed it to 4096 is does look a lot better(see attachement) and the remaining detail is probably not there because of the bump map, but the blocky thingies are still there, any idea how properly unwrap this model?

Not quite sure how to properly add a bump map in Unity, is it okay if I ask here if any of you know how to do that? If not I’ll find it somewhere else, but I thought while we are here I might as well ask :wink:

Anyway thanks so far

Attachments

I don’t know what “blocky things” you are talking about. That UV map is really bad. did you do “smart UV project”? The way I usually uv unwrap models is by selecting edges, and then “ctrl e” select “mark seam” I do this for all the seams of my object, as if I were to cut it out with paper and scisors, (but in referse, since it is already 3D) I then pres “u” and “unwrap” That usually gives decent results if you marked your seams correctly. For something like your land, I would actually view it from top down, and when pressing “u” select “project from view”. I would then edit the UV map a bit with “ctrl v” and “scroll wheel” along with proportional editing, to get rid of as much stretching as I can.

To get bump maps in Unity, you need to turn them into “normal maps” which are those blueish pink maps you sometimes see. I don’t know if Blender can transfer bump maps to normal maps or not. I use Crazy Bump (I do remember a free plugin for Gimp a while back, but it was clunky and I don’t know where to find it right now.

I no longer see any weird blocky things. I think it looks just like the Blender one, minus the normal map and with a different lighting setup of course.

You do not necessarily need to turn your bump map into a normal map. Import a black and white image (your bump map). Change its type to Normal Map, and select Create From Grayscale.
You might want to read the documentation: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-TextureImporter.html

To put that normal map on your material, select a shader that supports normal mapping. The Standard Shader or Bumped Diffuse shaders will work. Fill in the places for your Diffuse and Normal maps.

I didn’t know that. That’s really cool.

disregard what I said earlier.

Yea I used Smart UV and that’s what I got, but didn’t put any seams. Will try to see how that will affect the map. I think this thread can be marked Solved for other user’s future reference.

Thanks all and good day